22. Dumb Luck

After the conclusion of the second round, most of the other students were weeded out of the competition. Kuri was lucky for less competition but felt bad that many of her talented classmates didn't get to be finalists.

Only the first four pairs to cross the line had made it to the final round. This included herself and Bakugo, Iida and Ochako, Midoriya and Tsu, and Tokoyami and Kuroiro from Class 2-B.

"Bakugo, I can't believe we actually won!" Kuri said yet again. He grinned.

"Of course, we won!" he said. Then, his smile faded a bit. "But during the next round, I'm gonna beat you for sure."

"Yeah, yeah," she said, waving her hand. "It was fun working with you, though." She walked off so she could go get lunch with Mina and Jirou.

"You too."

Kuri whipped her head around, only to see Bakugo walking away as well. She smiled, then continued on her way. After a good lunch, Kuri headed back to the arena with her friends.

"Now that everyone has returned, it is time to announce what the third game is," Ectoplasm said.

Kuri watched as the large screen scrolled through the options and slowly came to a stop. A grin spread across her face.

No way...

"Sword fight," Ectoplasm said, reading off of the screen. "This game is simple, really. Both contestants will be given a wooden katana and won't be allowed to step out of the designated area unless they wish to risk disqualification. The goal is to either incapacitate your opponent, cause them to surrender, or make them step out of the ring.

"The one condition is that you are not allowed to use your quirk for combat; you may only use your quirk for defense or movement. Your sword is your only weapon," Ectoplasm added.

Kuri couldn't believe her ears. Sword fighting? One of the few things she was insanely good at? Not to mention that quirks couldn't be used for combat, which completely leveled the playing field. It must've been her lucky day or something.

"Mina!" Kuri exclaimed, shaking her friend's arm slightly. Mina looked back at her, sharing her grin. "Do you realize what this means?"

"You mean how you're totally gonna win? I told you there was nothing to worry about!" she said.

"The finalists will now draw lots to determine the bracket for the third round," Ectoplasm said. He gestured to a box beside him, called the finalists up to the stage, and they each drew a slip of paper from the box.

Kuri's paper had the number two on it, so that meant she and her opponent would be the second ones to fight out of the four pairs. In the back of her head, she hoped that she wouldn't have to fight Bakugo. Mostly because after an inevitable loss, he'd probably challenge her to a rematch, and that would be a bit of a hassle.

"Okay, everyone has drawn, so we'll now display the bracket," Ectoplasm said.

The large screen changed again, displaying the bracket with their names on it. The matches were as follows: Asui versus Kuroiro; Midoriya versus Nakano; Iida versus Uraraka; Bakugo versus Tokoyami.

Well, I'll be damned...

Kuri and Bakugo were on opposite branches, so they'd only have to fight if they both made it all the way to the final match! It certainly was her lucky day.

Then, Ectoplasm announced that there would be recreational games for anyone to play, but the finalists could opt out. Kuri decided to opt out since she didn't want to deplete her stamina before she even had a chance to compete.