37. Rehearsal

Kuri leaned forward in her seat, resting an elbow on the couch's armrest as she flipped through the script. A few hours had passed since school ended, so it was time for rehearsal to begin. The cast had gathered in a corner of the common area near the dorm entrance, and the set design and costume teams congregated in separate corners. They sat in a rough circle, scattered on the couches and carpet.

"Okay, everyone!" Mina said, clapping her hands together. "Time to start our first script reading session. But first, let's do an in-depth review of each character in The Noble and the Maid (working title)."

"Wait, it's only the working title?" Kuri asked. "I thought we already told the school our title so they could make the schedule."

"We can still put a different name on the playbill if anyone comes up with a good one," Mina shrugged and glanced at the cast. "Keep that in mind, y'all, because something might come to you as we read the script. Tsu, why don't you start by reading your character's description, and we'll go down the list?"

Kuri glanced to her left and caught Tsu's nod.

"I'm playing Kaede, a cool-headed young maid at the Miyamoto estate who looks after her younger sister. She admires the marquess' eldest son and wants to get to know him. She doesn't enjoy being a maid, so she's saving up to travel the world someday," Tsu recited. She nudged Fumikage with her elbow, prompting him to read next.

"I am Yutori, the marquess' first-born son, who would rather become a traveling painter than inherit his father's title," Fumikage said. "He is open to his family about this sentiment and has attempted to run away from home several times. His status isolates him, and he wishes to be seen as a regular individual."

Once Fumikage finished, Kuri cleared her throat and read the short paragraph that described her role. When she wrote the description weeks ago, Kuri hadn't imagined it would be attributed to herself. How the tables had turned...

"I'm Hinako. She's a rough-edged teenage maid at the Miyamoto estate and Kaede's younger sister. She is considered 'improper' and 'disobedient' by the head maid, but actually is determined and capable." As Kuri read, she realized again how unequipped she was for this role. With her typically mellow demeanor, Kuri was far from pulling off a rebellious character. Nevertheless, she had a part to play. "She owes much to her sister, and when Kaede is turned into a frog, Hinako wants to repay her sister's care by looking after her in frog form."

Kuri leaned far forward to look at Katsuki, who was on the opposite side of the couch from her. They likely would've sat together if Tsu and Fumikage hadn't plopped down next to Kuri before Katsuki came downstairs. How unfortunate...

"I'm Anri, the second-born son of the marquess and Yutori's younger brother. He is content as a nobleman's son and has no life aspirations besides preventing his brother from leaving home. His slightly obnoxious personality prevents him from making friends," Katsuki paused abruptly, and Kuri realized that she'd chuckled out loud at that statement. After a second, he continued. "...So he knows if Yutori leaves, he'll be lonely."

Though annoyed that she had to act, Kuri found something to be glad about in this mess her friends had roped her into. She knew that watching Katsuki act like a snobbish, insecure noble would be the sight of her life. She had to hold back more giggles just thinking about it.

The others continued to read off their character descriptions.

Tooru was Natsuka, an immature mage-in-training who wanted to mess with nobles for no other reason than to be annoying.

Yuuga was Zenga, a flashy (he added that adjective) mage-in-training who wanted to outdo Natsuka, his cousin. He preferred not to antagonize nobles since he feared the consequences, but he followed Natsuka to her prank locations to show off his magic and prove he was a better mage.