32. Kiss and Make Up

When Kuri came to, her eyes were already half-open. Bakugo's face was directly in front of hers, their noses on the verge of touching. Neither breathed, neither moved. The memories from her drunken stupor flashed in her brain, filling Kuri in quickly. Bakugo stared intently at her, his crimson eyes glowing with a look that Kuri could not begin to describe. An element in his gaze compelled her though, as if beckoning her closer. Kuri drifted forward again, her eyes dipping down to his parted lips. Why not do it?

As their lips pressed together, Kuri felt like her brain was imploding. In a state of shock, her eyes were wide open. Blush bloomed across Kuri's face as reality dawned upon her.

Her first kiss. In the middle of a perilous mission, incapacitated only moments before, Kuri kissed her crush. It was not what she would have expected, not by a mile. And yet, it made sense for them in some odd way.

She looked at Bakugo, whose eyes were dutifully closed. She forced her own eyes shut, wanting to savor the moment. The second he pulled away, she'd have to consider the ramifications of such an act, but not now. Now, she could pretend to be happy. Kuri exhaled shakily through her nose. He was so soft she wanted to cry. She leaned into the kiss, wishing he'd never have to push her away.

Her hand wandered up to Bakugo's face, cupping his cheek as she drew herself closer. She squeezed her eyes shut, ill-prepared for the inevitable disenchantment that awaited her once Bakugo came to his senses and shoved her off. If only he liked her back. Ha, in her dreams, perhaps. When it came to Bakugo, love was out of the question.

They remained there for a strangely long time, holding the kiss with gentle caution as if withdrawing would break them both. Confusion began to sprout in Kuri. When would Bakugo cut it out and fracture the illusion? Realizing she needed to breathe, Kuri reluctantly pulled away from him and the kiss and the gentleness of it all. Her eyes traced up shyly, hesitant to meet his gaze.

Bakugo's eyes cracked open slowly, and a red hot blush spread over his face. He scrambled back on his hands, mouth agape and looking about as flustered as Kuri felt. His fingers felt for his lips frantically, then his head whipped around, and he turned to face the corner, hiding his face in his hands. Kuri looked away, though still leaning on her hands in the same position, feeling suddenly cold and conflicted.

Bakugo was definitely upset with her for the kiss. The look on his face when she pulled back said it all. Her hand tightened into a fist. Why did she have to be so flirty when she was drunk? Kuri's flirting had always been painfully awkward, clumsy, and not remotely romantic, but as soon as she got drunk, she asked for kisses like it was no big deal! Why had she even kissed him?! They were only supposed to be friends, having agreed upon that less than an hour earlier. Not to mention they were literally in the middle of WORK! Yet, she had decided to be an idiot and let her heart lead the way. She knew how tenuous their relationship was, and still, she did it! Stupid, stupid, stupid. Hot tears welled up in her eyes, and Kuri could not stop them from spilling out.

She drew back, backpedaling on her hands to sit up normally and sprawling her legs out beside her. Kuri clutched her hands close to her chest, clinging to whatever comfort she could find in herself as she suppressed her sniffles. Everything between them was bound to fall apart now.

As the droplets rolled down her face, she couldn't help but question Bakugo's actions. Since he didn't like her, why didn't he just push her away? Was it out of some twisted politeness that he allowed her to kiss him? Was this all just some stupid prank extended from her disastrous poolside confession? That damn pool... Kuri doubted he was purposely leading her on, considering they were friends; he wasn't that heartless, but a part of her remained suspicious of him. In any case, Kuri didn't appreciate how confusing he was.