Chapter 19

Thor found that something was nagging at his mind since Carly had transformed into her human form. It was like a half remembered dream but whenever he tried to grab hold it would slip away. He could not place why but he felt he had met her before. The Thunderer thought about approaching Loki to discuss it but after walking them to their rooms he had decided against it. It seemed that the small amount of company had exhausted the two and so Thor was happy to let the two rest while he trained. Heading to the training room he tried to train but the moment he even thought about it he found he couldn't.

Brother, you have over done it again. He sighed heavily. The first time he had gone into a Blood Rage Loki had used most of his Seidhr to stop him, causing a lingering effect for over a week. Whenever he had tried to train his body would automatically relax and all the frustrations would melt away forcing him to be unable to battle, reducing the risk of another Blood Rage.

Knowing he would be unable to train he headed to find some of his friends. As he approached the main common area he could hear his friends voices. Moving closer he realised that they were discussing Carly.

"We need to know why Hydra were after her." Steve said, leaning against the kitchen island.

"I'd think it'd be pretty obvious why Hydra wants her." Clint replied from his spot on the sofa, propping his feet on the coffee table.

"If they could control her, make her fight for them...." Tony trailed off, an uncomfortable silence falling over the room as everyone thought of the possibilities. "You manage to dig anything up?" he asked Nat who was sat at the island, multiple data pads scattered around.

"Nothing definite. The Hydra files S.H.I.E.L.D managed to download from the base two years ago mention something about a Project Shard. Most of the data is degraded but it does mention ice powers".

A small intake of breath drew their attention to Bucky who was stood looking out the floor to ceiling window. He had tensed up at Nats words.

"Bucky?" Steve asked concerned. Everyone knew that Bucky had few clear memories of his time under Hydra's control and the ones he did have were not pleasant to say the least. Perhaps he and my brother have a few things in common. Thor thought wryly.

"I remember something about a subject escaping a two years ago. They couldn't find it and were going to send me to search but..." The soldier gave Steve a meaningful look. "The commander in charge of the project was all but obsessed with getting the subject back."

"Do you believe Lady Carly was this subject that they spoke of?" Thor asked moving to stand near the island.

"Maybe." Bucky said thoughtfully. "If that's the case they won't give up so easily."

"There's at least three years of files on Project Shard. They're incomplete but what is there..." Nat trailed off, colour draining slightly from her face. "The last notes in the file say they were getting ready to prepare the subject for triggers."

"So she might be a sleeper agent." Steve said warily.

"No, I don't think so." Nat disagreed. "The last notes are dated the day of the S.H.I.E.L.D raid. I doubt they even got the chance to start."

"That's weird." Clint's voice interrupted them. Thor realised that just like Natasha, Clint was surrounded by data pads. "This can't be right."

"What?" Stark looked over, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "I've almost had my fill of weird".

"I've just done a visual search of Carly and the results are, well..... Either she has one hell of a family resemblance or..."

"She's much older than we think she is." Bruce said picking up one of the data pads.