Welcome to New York

Start from the beginning

"I..I was just wondering if any of you have heard from Maya?" I questioned hoping for the best.

"Nah," Zuri shot down as my face fell, slightly alarming her, "But I wouldn't worry about it, she never contacts us over the school year, that's just how she is," Zuri reassured as I shook my head and wiped my hands on my jeans.

"Actually, I have to tell you guys something" I started, the look on my face probably alerting the trio of the seriousness of the situation.

"And I really didn't want to bring you guys into this but I have no one else to turn to," I continued trying to focus on my breathing as Zuri came over to take my hand supportively.

"Hey, we've been wanting answers all summer. Talk to us. Whatever it is we're here for you," Zuri's calmness contrasting my slight panic. I looked around the room to see the caring eyes of the Ross siblings before spilling everything. I told them about Maya's backstory, about mine. I told them about the lost boys and Maya's father, and how she was taken and how no one has seen her since.

"Oh my God," Ravi exhaled as all three Ross kids were leaning back into the couch in shock.

"I know its a lot. It's way we're not supposed to tell anybody about the Lost Boys and what we do."

"Then why tell us now?" Emma questioned as I picked the skin by my fingers.

"To be honest, I don't know for sure. We have Lost Boys all over the country looking for her but at the end we're just a bunch of underage boys. I just wanted to do something more..." I trailed on as Ravi laid a hand on my shoulder. 

"Griff, you know Maya means the world to us and we'd do anything to help her, but without the authorities or our parents, I don't think there's much we can do to..."

"We'll help," A voice coming from the top of the stairs abruptly cutting Ravi off. Looking up I immediately assumed a fighting stance, watching every move he made, fists balled up as better prepared myself from the last time I saw him.

"I come in peace I swear," Luke walked down the stairs with hands in the air. I loosened up slightly but still remained on high alert as Luke made his way over to us.

"Hey look man, I'm sorry for the last time we met. I know there really isn't any excuse but you wouldn't believe how bad of a combo weeks without my ADHD meds and being stuck in the same room with Crazy Connie is. Literally it was just us two in a room for hours every single day, it was my worst nightmare. I thought I liked Maya for the longest time, it just took me a while to realize I just wanted to protect her, in a brotherly way." Luke explained as Ravi gave me a reassuring nod. letting out a sigh I crossed my arms, letting up my offensive stance.

"You said you could help?" I asked as I could see the relief rolling off of Luke.

"Yeah, I have a PI. New he's not the best, but he's affordable with out allowances so it won't seem too suspicious." 

"How much?" Emma asked Luke as he turned to whisper something in her ear.

"Oh we'll be fine, I've spent more on a shopping spree." Emma flicked her wrist causing her sibling to roll their eyes.

"And you've used this guy before?" I questioned as Luke nodded , officially setting the plan into motion. Luke went away to call his PI as I turned to say my goodbyes to the remaining Ross kids.

"I'll find a way to pay you guys back for this," I tried only to get immediately waved off.

"Don't bother, it's the least we can do," Zuri smiled as I nodded my head with a sigh, knowing better than to fight with a teenage girl.

"I don't even know how to thank you guys." I looked at the Ross kids as they engulfed me into a hug, their wave of optimism in finding Maya being exactly what I needed to boost my determination.

"We'll let you know as soon as we hear anything," Emma promised as I wrote down the number and address to the Maine institute just in case before heading over to the elevator. Exchanging final goodbyes, I stepped into the golden elevator and watched the doors close, a hand slipping in between the crack at the last second, allowing Luke to join my ride down. The first seconds went by quietly as I shifted my feet in response to the tension, eager to get out of this uncomfortable ride.

"When I said I used to PI before, I thought you should know I used him for Maya before too," Luke blurted out as I looked over to curse him out, only to find he wasn't looking at me, but rather staring up at the  top of the elevator. Seeing his vulnerability, I refrained myself and turned back to face the elevator doors.

"What I said that day, about her brother... Maya had an older brother who died when she was a baby. That's all my PI could find about her family the first time, so that's why I mentioned he isn't the best. I was the one who told Maya about him, her parents never brought it up so she didn't even know he existed, let alone his name or what he looks like. I figured it was like a coping mechanism, which really doesn't make me look any better, but I brought it up all the time around her, naively thinking it was like a little secret we shared that would bring us closer. But now that I know the truth, from your story, the memories it must of brought up every time I teased her, I don't think I can forgive myself." Luke's head was now turned down with closed eyes.

"For what it's worth, Maya forgives you," I started turning to look at Luke as his head tilted to the side, "Which means I forgive you too. You're doing the right thing now, that's all the matters," I reached out a hand midway between us, acting as a sort of peace offering.

"Friends?" I asked as Luke sighed in relief and shook my hand.

"Friends." He responded as the elevator dinged and I stepped out.

"Hey!" Luke calle as the elevator rummed, starting to close, "you're going to find her." He called from the closing gap. We gave each each other a final nod before the doors shut one more and I disappear into the busy streets of New York. 

_____________________________________________________________

Not gonna lie, I didn't think I was going to bring back Luke when I wrote that first chapter but I'm so glad I was able to 'redeem' Luke's character