Chapter 26: The Ball

"Dance with me while the music plays. Dance with me so the song is not a waste."

"We need to look for your gown, Nick," bungad agad ni Veronica pagpasok ng kwarto ko.

"Gown for what?"

"The Ball."

"I don't—"

Pinutol niya ang sasabihin ko ng matalim na tingin. "All are required to attend the Ball....especially you."

Nagbuga ako ng hangin. Sa ganitong mga bagay, pinipili naming lahat na hindi na lang makipag-argumento kay Veronica. Sumunod na lang ako sa kanya palabas ng kwarto.

Ilang gown ang pinasukat niya sa 'kin. Pero dismayado siya sa lahat ng iyon. It took us three hours until she found the perfect one.

It took her another three hours arguing with the Guardians for their tux. Maraming angal ang dalawa. Partikular na dahilan ang kawalan ng komportable sa makakapal na tela ng piniling mga istilo ni Veronica. Pero sa huli, siya din ang nasunod.

Of course, siya lang naman talaga ang nasusunod.

-&-

"You need a date," sabi ni Veronica.

Nawala ang lasa ng nginunguya ko. Nasa dining na kami sa Church. "It wouldn't be a big deal to go to a ball alone."

Veronica chuckled. "It won't really look good if the Legendary Seeker is solo flight."

"I'll ask Raphael," sabi ko na lang. Masarap pa naman ang roasted chicken sa mesa. Pero dahil panay para sa Ball ang usap namin, nawawalan ako ng gana.

"You can't ask him," Michael butted in.

"Wala na 'kong maisip na ibang pwedeng maging date."

"What about me?" I'm not even kidding when I say I heard bitterness in his words.

"The Queen would want you beside her." Victoria would take every possible chance to be with him. Hindi na ako makikipag-agawan. I'm immature but she's worse.

"Iyon pala ang paalala ni Victoria. Kasama ka sa entourage," dagdag ni Veronica.

"There, you see?" I gestured to Veronica.

"And there you are." Kakapasok lang ni Raphael sa dining hall. Last time I saw him was when he was called by the Queen. Mukhang busy na nga talaga siya.

Naupo si Raphael sa tabi ko hawak ang isang tinidor. He didn't even ask and just picked food from my plate.

"What do you want?" I asked as I ate with him.

"Let's go to the Ball together." He looked at me with excited eyes as if what he said was the most genius idea ever thought of.

"Not going to happen." I rolled my eyes and looked in Michael's direction. His eyes were blue again. If he's not as calm as he is, we'd be seeing live sparring by now.

I shook my head and faced Raphael with a smiling face. "Sure."

With my decision, Michael turned a little more..I don't really know. Protective? It was hard convincing him that Raphael was the best choice for a partner.

Wala na akong kilala na lalaki sa Church maliban sa kanilang tatlo nila Gabriel. Of course, Gabriel is for Veronica and I wouldn't want to be a third wheel. Veronica would never allow me to go to the Ball alone, that's the thing. So in the end, Michael agreed.