Chapter 5: The Fall, The Church and The Angels (2)

"So how do you rebel in a family of rebels?"

Our feet touch the ground like a fallen leaf. Ligtas kami. Walang natamong anumang sugat. Pero sunod-sunod ang putok ng mga baril mula sa pinaghulugan naming bangin. Michael pulled me closer to him as we ran. His trustworthy wings shielded us from the raining bullets.

All I wanted to do was follow my Mom's orders! How far messed up did I go this time?

A Jeep appeared in front of us, followed by a huge cloud of dust. Nakatayo sa likuran no'n ang isang lalaki, nakapamewang pa habang nakatingin sa amin. As the Jeep came to our side, the guy pulled me up to the back of the vehicle. Tumalon rin si Michael paakyat. The vehicle swerved back to where they came from.

"Hi." It's the stranger, topless like Michael and with a kinder smile.

"You're late," sabi ni Michael sa kanya. Sumandal si Michael sa gilid ng Jeep at bumuntong-hininga. His wings were magically gone again.

Geez. So that is why he's topless. And if this new guy is topless too. Then...

"May isang tinanghali ng gising." The new guy pointed to the driver.

The girl with purple hair behind the steering wheel glared. Seeing so many impossible things today, I'm less than shocked to stare back at her yellow eyes. "I'm a nocturnal. Tulog talaga ako sa umaga." Ibinalik niya ang tingin sa daan.

"Kahit di umaga tulog ka," the guy replied.

"Kasi pagod ako."

"Kasi tamad ka."

They continued reciting nonsense comments. Nakangiti lang si Michael habang pinapanood sila.

Nag-iwas na ako ng tingin nang mabaling siya sa akin. Isipin pa niyang may malisya ang pagtingin ko. Too late though, I can see him smiling even on my peripheral.

"That is Gabriel and Veronica." Tumingin sa akin si Gabriel at ngumiti. Inilahad niya ang kamay niya.

I accepted the handshake. "Nick."

"We know," he said. "Daughter of Olivia, right?"

Tumango ako kasabay ng pagngiwi. The ever sunny Michael laughed again.

Gabriel is dumbfounded. "Why?"

Umiiling si Michael habang tumatawa pa din. "She hates it."

"The what?"

Michael chuckled before answering. "Daughter of Olivia."

Gabriel chuckled with him too.

-&-

It was a lengthy ride to Church. Maalikabok ang hangin at masakit sa ilong. Mahapdi ang sikat ng araw sa balat.

West is just a grilling pan of sand. The whole place has never felt water for years. Wala rin kahit isang ulap sa kalangitan para humarang sa tirik na araw.

So this is how a runaway really feels like. Last time I felt the safety of being in a four-cornered room was not more than forty-eight hours ago. Yet some of the final indenial neurons of my brain wish I was there again. In White City. In our house.

With Mom.

Lumipat si Gabriel sa passenger's seat katabi ni Veronica. Tumabi naman sa akin si Michael at inabutan ako ng tubig.

"Gabriel is a Guardian, while Veronica is a Keeper."

"So you're a team." Humugong ako, "I remembered you also told me about a Seeker."