Chapter 7: Punches and Cages

"Give the man his desires, even if it's his own destruction.."

"So we're burglars now?"

Palabas kami ni Veronica sa bintana ng rented room namin. She said that to prevent eyes from notifying Shadows, if they are really here, that we're coming for them, we need to exit not through the door.

"More like teenagers sneaking out. I'm sure you're familiar."

"No, I don't really..." I hopped to the veranda and balanced myself on the short ledge. "..sneak out. Wala akong kaibigan sa city."

"Why?"

"I hate people."

"Hmm...No wonder you're socializing with a werewolf."

Pareho kaming natawa.

It's almost midnight. The skies are well-lit with stars but not much compared to what I saw in the Church. There is magic in the skies there. It's like it's closer to me. But the blue moon is still up. The only witness to our little operation.

We were meeting our two Guardians in the alley at the back of the hotel. Since I'm not a werewolf nor an angel, and my bones will break if I fall, I chose the safer option. I carefully strided on the thin steps of the emergency exit. Samantalang si Veronica ay walang alinlangang tumalon pababa sa lupa. That's four floors high by the way.

Well, I have no choice but to be slow and safe. Michael and Gabriel were already waiting for me on my way down. Gabriel assisted me when I jumped for the last foot.

"Where are we headed?" tanong ko.

"To the pub," Gabriel answered as we marched our way. Michael is beside him. Nakayuko siya sa nililinis na kutsilyo. Nang makuntento na siya sa kintab ay ibinalik na 'yon sa holder sa bewang niya. Tumingin lang siya sa 'kin saglit saka humarap ulit sa daan.

Weird.

Why is he quiet all of a sudden? Siya pa naman ang inaasahan kong makakapansin sa suot ko. I mean, not that I like him to notice me, but I was expecting his comments.

"Your first mission, Nick: find the Shadows again," Gabriel's voice is of a commander.

Hmm. Sounds exciting.

-&-

Marami na na ang tao sa pub. The music is blasting through the roof, unminding that it's night and most people would rather sleep. Matapang ang alcohol sa hangin. Masigla ang mga tawanan at kwentuhan.

"Animam meam videre." Isa-isa kong tinignan ang mga tao habang papunta sa bar counter. No black soul. "Videre."

Maybe we've been tipped off?

I sat on Veronica's left side. She was asking questions to the bartender about Terania while he's making our drinks. Michael and Gabriel sat on Veronica's other side. May pinag-uusapan silang hindi abot sa akin.

If we were gathering information, trying to be smart, what if the Shadows are, too? I took one more roll over to the people in the pub. All is still clear.

Nawala lang ako sa focus nang may lalaking umupo sa gilid ko. Malisyoso ang ngiti. Naglakbay ang mata niya sa kabuuan ng katawan ko.

I tried to pull the ends of my dress to cover my thighs but it did not work since the dress is really short. Veronica made me wear it. Of all the types of clothes, she choses a dress. I told her it isn't a good choice pero pinilit niyang naka-cycling naman ako.