Chapter 15: Halfway to Death

"When you die is only the time Death finally faces you."

- a paraphrase from TCWDM's Death Trilogy.

The sun was high when we reached the Church. As we went into the door, we walked in a deserted ground. Very unusual scene since Protectors' training starts in the morning.

We expected strange things as we came. But still, no explanation would be sufficient. Aside from the deserted place, something's wrong. Something worse.

Tumigil kami at naghanap ng sagot sa paligid.

"There is no...sound," bulong ni Veronica.

Tama siya.

Walang kahit anong ingay—walang kulisap o pag-ihip ng hangin. As if the place stood still.

As if there is no life.

We faced towards the direction of the Church when we heard its door open. A young man in a black suit came out. He walked towards us, taking his inevitably long time.

Hindi kami natuod sa kinatatayuan, o nakaramdam ng hindi pangkaraniwang galit. Walang takot o kaba.

We kept our nerves calm as if what we are facing is not the most dangerous of them. His strides were slow, and I was mesmerized as his foot stepped one after another. This was something I didn't expect to experience. Seeing Death face to face.

Nang makalapit na at halos tatlong talampakan na lang ang layo ay saka siya tumigil. Nabigyan ako ng pagkakataong mas maobserbahan siya.

Death is perfect. His posture is strong, as if he never moved for a long time, with skin so pale, as if the sun has never shone on it. His face is unsmiling, with red lips pressed in a thin line. Perfect contrast to his eyes brewed with storms. Looking at it could show you a thousand stories of sadness and grief.

"You're late." His voice was soft, like a voice lulling you to sleep.

"I guess people will never know when is the right time to meet you, huh?" Michael casually said. He crossed his arms and stood in a lazy manner. I want to hit him with something. Haven't he realized that he is talking to Death itself?

"Actually this is not me, Nickita. My form is based on how you will expect me to appear."

My eyes widened. Did he just—

"Yes. I can read your mind," he confirmed. "You surrendered yourself to death multiple times. Your thoughts, your feelings, I have known for years."

Lumunok ako.

I wonder if that is related as to why there is a huge storm in his eyes. I could probably cry if I stare at it for too long. His eyes hold emotions and memories that were not even his—carelessly put, but carefully kept.

How can he have all those gazillions of feelings and thoughts without even twitching? I know he read my mind again because he smiled, like he was agreeing to what I am thinking.

"Where is everybody?" Gabriel asked.

"Training, asleep, chatting, eating..." Death closed his eyes. "... some are even doing an activity Protectors are prohibited to do." He opened his eyes then looked at the four of us. "I didn't kill anyone, the time has just stood still. I put you four into another dimension within this one so I could talk to you. I just wanted to meet."

"Why?" it's Veronica.

Iniling niya ang ulo. Na parang hindi siya makapaniwala sa sinasabi namin. "You four have an important thing to do. And I am wondering why He chose you."