Chapter 12: We need a freaking bug spray

"Connected in soul, connected in mind."

It's 5 am.

The four of us are back together in the dining hall. Veronica will dump all the details about the new mission even though I'm pretty sure the three of us are still half-asleep. But this scene, a very sleepy scene, is what I want. This scene is what I hope to be in again—early morning, grumpy Guardians, and a freaking morning wolf.

It can't get any better.

As usual, this mission will sail if only the three of us are fully awake. Gabriel told me this as one of Veronica's qualities. One of her best qualities as a Keeper, as he said.

Guardians may protect the whole team from physical danger, but Keepers are the ones who make the team stick up. The smarter and better the Keeper is, the better, safer, and stronger the team will be. And based on the literal scene of our every morning, handang-handa si Veronica. Kami na lang talaga ang sakit sa ulo niya. Yep, she is great.

"How can you look so beautiful in the morning, Veronica?" Gabriel grinned. Pati ako ay nangiti na rin kasabay ng hikab.

"I am beautiful in every minute of the day, Gabriel. Now I suggest you listen or I will bite your ears off."

Michael chuckled. Nakadukdok siya sa mesa at pikit ang mata. Malalim ang paghinga niya.

Ibinagsak ni Veronica sa mesa ang tatlong malalaking duffel bags.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Protection."

Her answer didn't really help. Binuksan ko ang bag sa tapat ko. On top is a hazmat suit. Sinilip ko ang natira pang laman ng bag. Kumalansing ang limang lata sa loob. Bug sprays.

"For what?" si Gabriel ang nagtanong. Salubong ang kilay niya habang parang nadidiri pang iniisa-sa rin ang laman ng bag na para sa kanya.

"A large swarm of locusts is pestering the people in North. The insects destroyed their crop and livestock," sagot ni Veronica.

"I think they called the wrong department," bulong ko. The dark hazmat suit even has my surname as a patch. Someran. It's in a black cloth etched with yellow thread.

"We must see this from a different point of view. This is similar to the plagues that happened on Egypt during the time of Moses."

I frowned. I know that story is from the Bible. But still, the plague is a horror story. I can't dream of being born on that time especially if I am against God Himself.

"The Legendary Seeker is back. Signs of destruction and chaos will also erupt to signal that the War is coming." Veronica bit her lip too late. Tumango-tango ako para hindi niya isiping big deal ang sinabi niya.

But it is a big deal, really. It's the War she's talking about. And we're in it.

-&-

Si Michael ang kapalitan ni Veronica na magdrive, kaya kami ni Gabriel ang nasa likuran ng jeep.

"What was the Ball that you said yesterday?"

Ngumiti si Gabriel. "It's like a...Christmas Ball that happens every year. All the Protectors, Black Troop, High Knights, Cherubs, and even the Rebels are invited."

So it's an annual thing. "What's exciting about it then?"

I'm not really a fan of celebrations or events, whatever type it is. I mean, I can't understand the purpose of it. People are gathered in a hall, or whatever place, in a short span of time, smiling like they know everyone, and all are their friends.