Hewlett x Reader: The Star and The Moon

Start from the beginning

Abe said his father was heavily leaning towards you or Anna as the letter writer. He didn't like you or Anna. Anna for her affections towards Abe and yourself for your 'character' as he put it. When it came time to test who was the letter writer, you heard the drum go as you dumped vomit out a bucket to the ground, and soon after the Magistrate grumble "Well it's not Clara." The whole time though, you felt two sets of eyes on you. One, Ensign Weswood, eyes were glued, hot, felt like he was looking through your flesh. The other set of eyes however was The Major.

His eyes were kinder feeling, softer. You looked back to see he quickly broke the eye contact. He even shifted his stance a bit. You were rude the other night. You began to walk towards him when Anna approached, "Abe just rushed off. He will still insist it was you or I that wrote the letter, doesn't help he was at our home."

"I know. We will get through it. Something will come up, I'm sure of it." You look past Anna's shoulder to see the Major was gone from sight. "I'm going to finish up cleaning." You turn to go inside the tavern as Anna followed.

Simcoe was now at your home in Strong Manor, at least it wasn't Weswood, until he started coming by- a lot. He was promoted to Lieutenant and Simcoe to Captain in the wake of Joyce's death. Simcoe was supposed to be dead, then you would deal with Weswood but Simcoe came back. You and Anna would have to deal with both men. It was too much. You got a letter ready, every week you and Anna went to petition to bring Selah home. Abe was a spy, you and Anna supported him. Hanging a petty coat, listening to the soldiers talk as you poured drink and brought food. It was a time to be alive, to fight.

Cicero was separated from his mother, Abigail, was sent to be with a Major Andre. The Major began to come around more, reading in the morning leave, but return in the evening when most men returned to post or were passed out drunk. "What are we reading this time?"

"Ah- Miss Smith. I was reading about the tale of Orpheus and Eurydice."

"Sounds Greek." you said, sitting down across from him. "Yes, it is. Quite a tale I must say. I have read this before-" he reached the book to out to you. "Would you like to?"

"Oh, I'd love to but," you hold out your hand to push to book towards him "I don't have the time. I appreciate the offer though." You get up from your seat to check on another guest. The Major continued on reading the book and you got distracted by the few others. Soon it was closing time and you saw he was gone but the book remained. You picked up the book slowly, held it lightly. "The tale of Orpheus and Eurydice." you smiled. "I can make time."

After three days you were finally able to sit down and read the small and short book, the next day you began your way to Whitehall. As you approached the door The Major was exiting, he was in different cloths. "Miss Smith. How good to see you."

"You too Major. I read the book." you handed it to him. "Thank you, for letting me borrow it." you spotted he was holding a hunting riffle. "Hunting? My father taught me once, before he passed. One day you should invite me, for now I must return to the tavern. Anna needs me." He just looked at you, his eyes full of hope and kindness. Soft eye. "Thank you again Major." you walk off. "Miss Smith." he whispers.

You lay in bed, tired from the day. You looked see a book you long forgotten. A book your father read, you got out of bed and held the old book. "The Star and The Moon" he held the book to your chest. "He would love this, I'm sure of it."

The next day you rushed off to Whitehall once more. The Major was leaving. "Morning Major!" you cheer. "Miss Smith! Morning to you aswell." he saw the book in hand. "A book? I take it you want me to read it." he said continuing walking. He was on way to his post in the church. You walk with him. "Yes, it was a book my mother and father would read to me. Its about the romance between the moon and a star. If you like the tale of Orpheus and Eurydice, you'll enjoy this one. I wont spoil the ending." You hold out the book. He looks to you in hidden smile, as he grabbed the book from you his fingers go over yours. "I shall give it a read. Thank you Miss Smith." he goes to enter the church, you hold the part of your hand his fingers touched.