Episode 79 ''The Boy with the Answers'' Part 2

Start from the beginning

Temp it's on the stand as she begins explaining. Terrence Gilroy's left greater Cornu of the hyoid was compressed, indicating that the assailant strangled the young boy using only one hand- the dominant left hand, in this case." Caroline then says, "I'd like to submit writing samples which confirm that the defendant is left-handed." "No objection, as long as it's also noted that eight percent of the general population is also left-handed, including you, Your Honor." The honor looks at Temp, "Continue." "The victim sustained a fracture... of a lateral epicondyle and the shaft... of the left distal humerus. Perhaps I can be clearer. Terrance Gilroy's bones could only have been broken by someone kneeling on top of him as they pushed of him as they pushed him into the freezer. The radiating fracture lines show that this assailant had to be between 125 and 135 pounds- the weight of the defendant." Taffet then says, "Objection. This is speculation." Temp quickly speaks, "Are you questioning my qualifications? Because you will not find a more experienced or respected forensic anthropologist anywhere in the world. So I'd appreciate not being interrupted until I finished testifying."

I smile a bit at Temp proud of her as the judge says, "Dr. Brennan. I'll make the rulings." Temp nods as he continues, "Overruled. Continued." Temp does so, "Since these broken bones were caused by the assailant's knees... and the chipping on the boy's kneecaps was caused by the toes of her heavy boots, we can determine the length of her shin." "And what is the significance of the shin length?" "It gives us the height of the assailant, which is 5 ft 4 inch. The same height as the defendant. It is clear from the circumstantial evidence and these facts that this child was attacked with vicious cruelty by Ms. Taffet." Taffet then stands up, "Objection. The jury makes that determination, not the witness." Temp then speaks, "A 5 ft 4 assailant crushed the boy's chest, chocked him and finally caused him a torturous death by burying him alive." "Objection! Speculation. She can't know what the 'witness' felt." "I was buryed alive, which makes me uniquely qualified to comment on its horror." "Objection, Your Honor! This is grandstanding. Unless the witness has any additional facts-" "Sustained. Do you have any further questions for Dr. Brennan, Ms. Julian?" "No, Your Honor. I learned everything I need to know. Your witness."

It was Taffet's turn, "Dr. Brennan, don't you think your trauma as a kidnapping victim... prevents you from being objective?" Caroline then yells, "Objection! She is testifying as an expert witness, not a victim." "She brought up being buried alive, Your Honor." "She did, Ms. Julian. Overruled." "It's only natural that you would want to construct facts... that would give you some closure and peace." "I resent your implication. Id o not let my emotions cloud my findings." "No, not intentionally, of course." Caroline asks, "Is there a question coming?" "Yes. Sorry." "Dr. Brennan, you are currently seeing an F.B.I. psychologist, are you not?" "What- That has nothing to do with-" "A yes or no is all that's required, Dr. Brennan. Are you currently seeing an F.B.I. psychologist?" "Yes, but-" "Thank you. No further questions." "No, that has nothing to do with this case. My findings are sound." The judge then says, "You may step down, Dr. Brennan." "My findings are sound."

We are back in the lab as I work with Hodgins as we found something important as it was a dust mite that was embedded in the teeth. Cam looks at the image of the dust mite as she says, "A dust mite?" Sweets asks, "So that little bug is gonna save us?" "Oh, don't call him a bug. It sounds insulting." I nod a bit, "That's true, especially to our hero. We reexamined the boy's teeth... and found it wedge between the right lateral incisor and canine. Dust mites eat dead human skin cells, and this one's stomach sac is full." Cam then says, "If the boy bit Taffet, the skin cells are probably hers. Whatever's left is gonna be small, but there might be enough to give us D.N.A." I nod adding, "Yes, but that also means that it may destroy the evidence." Hodgins then adds, "Which she could use against us." I nod, "Yes, but don't worry about that. I'll take care of it, but until then don't do anything until I call and give you a go." They nod as I quickly start making my way out of the lab beginning to make some calls.