Episode 7 "The Girl in the Fridge" Part 3

-Venus POV-

We are all back in the court room as Dr. Stires is on stand speaking. "In my opinion, the high levels of hydromorphone are more consistent with recreational use than for pain relief." "Could you explain?" "Well, I might not use all the technical language, but I'll try to make myself understood." Everyone laughs a bit as I just kept my smile but had a made a tight fist with my injured hand not enough to rip any stiches." Mr. Levitt then speaks up, "Objection. Your Honor. The witness is impugning another witness." "Sustained. Continue." Dr. Stires continues, "I'm sorry. I don't do this professionally. People who need to relieve physical pain will stop after the pain disappears. It doesn't take more than an average dose to accomplish that. Drug users are trying to bury emotional pain, which means that they'll medicate until they feel nothing.  This is why they have a tendency to overdose, like Maggie Schilling." My grip keeps on tightening a bit by bit. Temp leans over to Mr. Levitt saying to him, "That's not accurate. Sometimes intense chronic pain does not respond to medication." "I'll bring that up in cross-examination." 

We listen back to the case as the lawyer asks, "What about Dr. Brennan's claim that her pain was somehow connected to the victim being bound for a length of time?" "Well, the Costello's have already stipulated to the fact that they bound Ms. Schilling as part of their rather unorthodox sexual life. And Dr. Brennan agrees that Ms. Schilling had hyperpara- well, if I could simplify- a thyroid condition that could weaken her bones. No need to look for bondage scenarios. With respect to my former student Dr. Brennan, with findings like these, I don't know why she became a forensic anthropologist. She seems to have ignored all but her preconceived notions about the case." At that statement I could feel half of the stitches ripping out, but I don't make a fuss about it and choose to hide it. Wanting to watch this trial till the end. Mr. Levitt cuts in "Objection." "Sustained." Dr. Stires apologizes as the lawyer asks him, "Do you disagree with Dr Brennan's data?" "Well, sometimes doctors can use data to confuse a very simple situation. I mean, I'm a doctor and I could hardly follow her. This case is about people, not incomprehensible technical jargon. I don't think that these people should be convicted of murder just because Dr. Brennan sounds smart." All of my stitches have ripped by now when he said that as Mr. Levitt then cuts in again, "Your Honor, really." "The jury will disregard Professor Stires' personal view of Dr. Brennan. Court will adjourn until 9:00 a.m. tomorrow." 

We were outside the court room as Temp speaks, "He wasn't acting as an objective expert. He was making up a story." Mr. Levitt speaks, "The judge chastised him in front of the jury. That'll work for us." Ms. Deaver then speaks, "The hell it will. The jury loves Stires. He looks like a regular guy who's not allowed to speak the truth because the stupid rules get in the way." Temp then cuts in, "The rules of jurisprudence aren't stupid." "Dr. Brennan, you need to learn the difference between reality and perception. A trial is all about perception." "Wow. You're the reason civilization is declining." I start chuckling as Ms. Deaver looks at Booth still unable to look at me. "Talk to her." "I kind of agree with her." She just sighs and walks away. Temp then tells him, "Thanks." "I really don't agree with you. I just... I don't like her." I chuckle "I think she is starting to grow on me Ranger." He gives me an amused look as Temp looks at Mr. Levitt, "Put me back on the stand. I can rebut everything that Michael said." I nod as Booth says, "She can do this." "I'll think about it." Temp then turns to us, "I've never been in this position before, Booth, Ven. I need to get back up there." 

I then speak, "Me either Temp, but I don't know how much more blood I can lose before I pass out from blood lose." I bring up my hand and showed them a damped bandage full of blood and as some is dripping off my fingers. Booth then speaks, "Blueberry how long have your stitches ripped out?!" "Uhhh... since Dr. Stires started talking. Why?" "Why?! You're bleeding out on the floors here. All right, just let me talk to him. And then we will quickly go back to the hospital to stitch you back up again. Just wait here." We watch as he rushes off as Temp looks at me. I sigh, "Temp, Dr. Stires may have taught you, but he will never be as good as you. I mean look you work for a highly respected Institution where all scientists would die to work at. While he is looking for jobs. He doesn't care about the facts or the victim. But you do, you connect with these people, and you help give families a sense of peace when telling them the victims stories about them. You are amazing not just in your job, but also as a person." "Thank you Ven. You are also amazing, you know that. What would I do without you?" "Be lonely." We laugh and give each other a hug. "Wait, Temp! I don't want blood on your wonderful blue shirt."