chapter twenty five

(a night to remember)

BACK AT THE PORCH, THE GROUP SPLITS INTO TWO

BACK AT THE PORCH, THE GROUP SPLITS INTO TWO. The raucous crowd at the table is working on second and third rounds. Someone ordered pitchers. From the lawn comes the irregular thunk, ga-thunk, thunk of cornhole. To any outside observer, they're all just a table of college students out for drinks. Not descendants of ancient bloodlines, not healers, or speedsters, or strong women, or warriors. Just kids. AZ has her palm in her jaw as she listens, Pete was it? Who was  just starting a story about his father hunting a demon on the Appalachian Trail when Nick and Sel walk out onto the porch.

She observes the way the Kingsmage is taking his job as Nick's personal guard more seriously especially after Wednesday night's attack. It's the  first time shes ever seen them arrive somewhere together, or even stand next to each other without fighting. Sel's all dressed in black, as always in contrast to Nick's light attire. The Scion Of Arthur is in a comfortable-looking X-Men tee and a pair of old jeans. Russ jumps up, clapping Nick on the back and shoving a drink into his hand.

AZ looks at her cousin, who's eager to see him and she rolls her eyes. "Go on." Bree looks back at her surprised. "Oh don't give me that look. I've known you forever I know when you get giddy over some boy." Bree pouts a little bit at that before looking at her in concern.

"You sure?" AZ shrugs as she plays with her rings.

"Yeah, plus Petes getting to the really good part and I can't miss that." She meets their eyes and chuckles. "Just go, I'm playing cupid for the night." With that Bree gives her a light peck on the cheek before darting to Nick. AZ watches as he's happy to see her cousin. And she gives him a wave when he spots her as well before talking again with Bree. AZ purses her lips happy for them.

"Lovebirds." She grunts and turns back to the story. However stops when she feels a gaze on her.

It seemed the ever so lovely Sel had placed himself not only a spot that was across the couple but also in a place where he could see her in his view as well. AZ was too tired to start a fight with him so she simply deadpanned in hoping that he would look away first.