chapter seventeen

Começar do início

"Nick Davis." The tallest woman, a brunette, speaks with a low rasp. The first woman elbows her, and she corrects herself.

"Excuse me. Scion Davis." Nick inclines his head, addressing them all in turn. "Rose members Hood, Edwards, and Schaefer. What brings you to the Lodge tonight?"

He steps back to let them in. "The tournament trials are closed, as you know..."

Rose member Schaefer's eyes twinkle as she enters. She acknowledges the cousins with a polite smile and a wave, then offers a sly glance to Nick. "We heard a rumor you returned."

"Elena, please." The Edwards woman waves a manicured hand adorned with nails the dark orange of Bors. "The Order of the Rose always supervises catering during the Trials."

Still addressing Nick, she extends her umbrella towards Bree who was the nearest, handle first. "Take this and dry it? Now, tonight's meal—"

She stops speaking when Bree doesn't follow her instructions, and turns, fully looking at her for the first time. "Did you not hear me?" AZ straightens up getting ready to defend but Bree discreetly touches her hand and squeezes it.

"I heard you just fine," Bree muttered through clenched teeth.

The Edwards bitch inhales sharply. "Where is your supervisor?" This time AZ does step in as she puts on her best act.

Masking a polite tone "I'm sorry ma'am do you need help with finding the umbrella rack. So you can put it there yourself?" AZ points to the side. "Because I can guide you to it, if you need. It's a big Lodge so I can understand!"

The lady is stunned for a second, her face takes an immediate defense as if offended AZ even suggested she was new to the Lodge when she wasn't. She then went to observe AZs outfit and the way she presented herself. Her eyes widened a bit at the put together attire and how the smaller girl seemed to carry herself with an air of confidence. Before there is even more tension Nick chooses the perfect time to step in.

"This is Briana Matthews, my Page." Nick takes the umbrella himself, hard steel under his placid tone. "She is not a servant, Virginia, nor will you treat her as such. Not in my presence or otherwise." The other women detect Nick's quiet anger and say nothing.

AZ puts a hand on her hips not caring how rude she looked.

But Virginia Edwards is not done. Her nostrils are at Nick's admonishment. At a teenage boy's use of her given name, and the reminder of his authority. "Your... Page?" Her gaze darts from point to point as she processes this information: from Brees face, hair, T-shirt, and jeans.

"Scion Davis, I would expect you to select a Page from the Vassals to your Line, as is tradition."

"I value Page Matthews's abilities," Nick says, his face impassive, "And your expectations belong to you."

"I'm surprised...Ms....Edwards is it?" AZ begins pursing her lips a little bit and Virgina looks at her sharply. "Addressing the Scion of Arthur this way. He's simply telling his truth, surely you don't have a problem with his words?" She feigned a look of concern as her tone was filled with light sarcasm.

"And who exactly are you to tell me how I'm addressing him." AZ gives a casual shrug that angers Virginia even more.

"Just a curious observation ma'am. No offense intended." She says with a quirk of her lips and glint in her eye.

Virginia stiffens. She then turns back to ask Nick "What does your father think of this? Surely he must—"

"His father is thankful that he has returned." They all turn to see Lord Davis entering the room using a wheelchair. Nick makes it as if to assist him, but Davis waves him away. "And pleased that the Order of the Rose is here once again to support this year's tournament."