16

Song: Backbone - Daughtry

...............................

Milton's bad boy studied my reaction carefully before turning around to face the newcomer, his expression gave nothing away.

"Need something?" he asked in a very impersonal tone, like he was made of stone, and Adam narrowed his eyes at him.

"It has nothing to do with you, Walker." he turned to face me and I started to freak out. My whole body still aching from the fall. The fall he'd caused. "Ari, come back, please. We were talking."

I furiously shook my head and took a step back, about to panic.

"No. We're done talking. For good." I bit back struggling to keep my nerves under control when everything I wanted to do was writhed and disappear.

I hated feeling like this.

I hated him making me feel like this.

And I hated that Hayden was there to witness my shame.

Gosh, I could feel his unforgiving gaze darting between Adam and myself. Frowning. Judging. My heart was frantic and I felt about to collapse right there. I can't deal with both at the same time. Who knows how much damage can they do? My chest tightened even harsher when the quarterback approached.

"Stay away from me." I warned, not as sure as I would have preferred, but that would have to do. I stared his almost distressed expression, as if really hurt that I was shutting him down.

Come on! After what he just did?

Gulping, I spun, my nerves still unsettled with the first awkward strides taking me away from there... and for a good reason.

"Ari, babe," I forced my feet to keep moving no matter the pain pounding from my hip and how tight the knot in my stomach was at his voice and appraching steps. "I'm so sorry-"

"She clearly told you to stay away." Hayden chipped in with that same dark, dull voice, shocking us both. Was he really helping me? I didn't dare to believe that. I could only wonder what his intentions might be by trying to wipe Adam off, but didn't let it stop me as I heard it didn't halt the quarterback neither.

"Just stay out of this, Walker." my ex snarled back in rage. "It's none of your goddam business."

"Then go and fight somewhere else." I could almost hear the eye roll in his desinterested tone.

"Gladly" my heart somersaulted when he reached me in a matter of seconds and stopped me by the elbow right before I reached the other end of the alley by the bleachers, the one that would lead me to the parking lot and -hopefully- to witnesses. "Come on."

I shook my head vigorously, like that was all my shocked body was able to do at the moment as he tried bringing me back to where we were before and elicited cold fear in my veins. I should run, I should find my way out there before he hurt me again, but it was like my limbs weighed thousands of pounds and my struggles to break free from his hold were pitiable. My spine was aching so much I just felt like falling anytime soon and I was still struggling to believe Adam had been the one who'd done this to me.

How could he?

"No." I dug my heels to the ground, halting his advances and gathering all the strength and fierceness I could muster to show off I pulled harder the arm he was holding. "Let go of me."

He didn't take my refusal well, tightening his jaw and grip to an almost painful pressure. "Arielle, we need to talk."

"No, we don't. Just do us both a favor and leave me alone." my voice sounded cracked at the end I mentally cursed. My hip was in actual pain by now, I needed to sit. Soon.