Chapter 20: Memory Gamble

Three months earlier

Germany

Merrida is busy enjoying herself swinging in the park while sucking the strawberry candy in her hand.

Inililipad nang mabining hangin ang nakalugay na buhok niya habang umaangat-baba sa ere. Her ankle length white dress danced with her hair.

Breathing the dews in the dawn, she held back her head to feel the rhythm of the birds chirping.

Everything's going perfect with her life lately. Kakatapos lang ng kaniyang huling recital kahapon at binigyan siya ng agent niya ng isang buwang pahinga.

She's got a great family, a great brother, and an unbelievably patient boyfriend who's always by her side.

But she's not happy. Deep inside, she's yearning for something. Nakakaramdam siya ng damdamin na hindi niya mabigyan ng pangalan.

She wants to be in another place. Germany felt so foreign for her even though her brother told her this is where she practically grew up.

"Merrida, come on. It's time for your medicine."

Nahinto ang paggalaw ng swing at bumungad sa kaniya ang nakangiting mukha ni Howard. She tilted her head and smiled at him before opening her mouth to take the capsules.

"Here, water."

"Thank you," she said cheekily.

"You're always welcome, my love."

Hinaplos nito ang pisngi niya bago bumalik sa ginagawa sa laptop sa tabi.

Malamig ang simoy ng madaling-araw pero hindi niya iyon inaalintana. She loves to come there at dawn to have the park all to herself.

Doon siya malayang nakakapag-isip sa mga bagay na hindi niya kayang itanong sa kapatid na palaging wala sa tabi niya.

Is this really life? Why is it so perfect for her? Wala siyang problema, walang dapat na isiping balakid sa pangarap niya.

Everything is served to her in a golden platter. Ang career niya, ang kinabukasan niya, pati ang kung sinong iibigin niya.

They're rich and powerful. She's beautiful, talented, and intelligent.

She should be happy. Everyone in the world would envy her but living this life seems like playing those chords

It's rehearsed, choreographed.

It's like there's an outside machine that's controlling her life.

Hinawakan niya ang tiyan at pumikit uli. It means nothing. It was just an instinct she has since she was born according to her brother.

But she knows it means something to her. Was she pregnant before? Impossible. Hindi niya basta-basta maitatago ang bagay na iyon.

Marami pa siyang tanong sa buhay niya na hindi na lang niya pinapansin. Hindi naman sa ayaw niyang malaman, ayaw lang niyang pagdudahan ang kapatid na ginagawa ang lahat para sa kaniya.

"Cin?"

Nagpalinga-linga siya sa paligid para hanapin ang tumatawag sa kaniya.

"Cin?" she mumbled. "Who's Cin?"

"Cin! Cin!"

Nakakunot-noong tumayo siya at inaninag ang paligid. Somebody is really calling for someone named Cin.

"Alcindra!"

"Alcindra!"

Sunud-sunod ang mga pagtawag kaya kinailangan niyang tabunan ng kamay ang dalawang tenga. Natapakan niya ang nabitawang candy.