Chapter 13: Dinner and Drinks

—Evelyn's POV—

"We cannot be doing this," I whisper yell as we walk around the house towards the front lawn, "Where are we going?" I ask as he pulls me along by my hand.

"Do you ever stop asking questions?" He asks making me laugh, "just follow me," he says. I look back at the house as we start walking down the street. We turn down the street and there's a small shop with fairy lights hanging in the window.

"This is adorable," I tell him as he opens the door for me, "what is this?" I ask as we look around seeing a bunch of empty tables.

"Sarah?" Ethan yells making me jump. Suddenly a red-headed women pops out from behind a beaded door. Her smile doubles when she sees Ethan.

"Finally, I was starting to think you bailed," she says as she walks over giving him a hug, "This must be Evelyn," she says holding her hand out. I awkwardly shake it as I look between the two of them confused.

"This is Sarah. A childhood friend...she moved here a couple of years back," he says looking at Sarah.

"Follow me," she says leading us to a table in the back of the small diner cafe-type building, "Lock up when you're done," she says throwing him the keys. He gives her a large smile before turning to me.

"We haven't had much time to spend alone. I thought I'd drag you away when everyone else was too drunk to notice," he says. He moves out of the way and shows a table full of food. Right on cue my stomach growls making us both laugh.

"This looks amazing," I whisper looking over all the dishes I've never seen before. I turn to him and he's watching my reaction to the spread Sarah's made, "Thank you," I tell him as he pulls the chair out for me. He sits across from me and chooses one of the dishes.

We spend the dinner eating and drinking, mostly talking about the group. It's nice hearing him talk about his friends like they are close family. Everyone besides Kyla are just colleagues to me, "This was kind of romantic," I tell him as we sip on some white wine. His hand is lazily placed over mine as my other hand holds up my head.

"Don't tell me you're catching feelings,"
He teases making me scoff.

"As if"

"How's the whole Chris situation?" He asks leaning back in his chair. I look down at the way his hand retracts from mine making me notice the cold air surrounding us.

I shrug my shoulders and sip on my glass, "Nothing serious," I tell him not wanting to tell him everything. It feels weird discussing my relationship with another man.

"We should probably get back," he says downing the rest of his drink, "Don't want the others missing us too much," he says. I stand up from the chair and he holds his hand out for me. The smile on my face doubles as I slide my hand into his. I didn't realize how long we have been gone until my phone buzzes in my pocket. I pull it out and see a text from Freezy asking where we are.

I show Ethan and he laughs as I shove my phone back into my pocket, "You're a different person without your friends around," I tell him as he glances down at me.

"How so?" He asks letting go of my hand and putting his arm around my shoulder. The change in position is making me feel drunker than I have all night.

I giggle to myself, "You're just relaxed. Not that you're uptight with them but I don't know. You're mellow and less worried about making jokes," I tell him.

"I could say the same about you. You smile more when you're talking with someone one on one," he tells me.

"You watch me talk to people?" I ask with a hidden smile.

"You're an easy person to get lost in," he tells me as we stop outside of the house. I turn to him and he's looking back at me.

"Stop saying things like that," I laugh punching his chest, "I refuse to catch feelings," I tell him.

"Who said anything about feelings," he says making me smile as he opens the door for us. We walk in seeing everyone gathered in the kitchen. I look around for Kyla but she's nowhere to be seen. When I notice Harry also gone I can't help but smile.

"Where have you been?" Simon asks nudging Ethan's side. Ethan pushes him away and he pours us a drink of whatever Freya made.

"How's the birthday boy?" I ask standing next to Chip. He turns around absolutely wasted throwing his arms around me.

"You know what?" He asks with a lisp, "I love you and Kyla. You should move to London so we can hangout," he says making me smile.

"I love you too buddy"

"Ooo you were just buddy carded," Freezy says as I roll my eyes. Ethan passed me a drink and I thank him as we all start walking out back. The lights make the perfect ambiance to end the night. Slowly but surly everyone drunkenly climbs the stairs to their bedrooms. I try to open the door but it's locked and I start giggling.

"Locked out?" Ethan asks. I nod my head and he just opens his door motioning for me to walk in. I thank him as I jump on his bed. I make a snow Angel in his sheets. He shuts the door and I let out a deep laugh as he lays on top of me.

"Comfy?" I ask as he lifts his head. He puts his arms on the sides of my head as he leans up. His eyes look between my eyes and my lips making me smirk, "Are you gonna kiss me or continue playing this slow shit?" I ask. He laughs as he leans in presses his lips against mine. I can't say I'm surprised the night ended like this.