Chapter 41: Wine Drunk

-Kyla's POV-

"YOU'RE KIDDING," Freya snorts, nearly spilling her wine, "There is no way Ethan served you fully raw meat."

"He did!" Faith insists, "It was only our second date, so I think he was just nervous trying to impress me. But it turns out he never turned on the oven and he didn't realize until I was about five minutes away. We talked for a bit, but the rest of the food was hot and ready to go, so he just took the roast beef out and served it, praying it was cooked enough. It was not."

There's another chorus of laughter, with everything being ten times funnier since we are all considerably wine drunk. Right now, me, Evelyn, Talia, Faith, and Freya are all sitting in the living room drinking and talking.

Somehow, we convinced all of our boyfriends, that being Harry, Chris, Simon, Ethan, and Josh, to cook us dinner. There have been a lot of loud noises and some shouting, but every time one of us tried to go to the kitchen, we would instantly get shooed away. The only thing we're allowed to ask for is wine. We have a literal bell that we can ring if we need one of the boys to grab another bottle. So far, we're four bottles in, and it's not hard to tell.

"I thought out of all the boys, Ethan would be the best chef considering his dieting," Talia chimes in.

"Trust me, he's not. You better hope all of your boys can cook," Faith replies, "Have Harry and Chris cooked you guys anything yet?"

"Chris made me breakfast the other day," Evelyn says, "Honestly, it might have been the best meal I've ever had."

"So there's hope," Faith says, looking genuinely relieved.

"I'm not too sure about Harry. He's a bit of a wild card. He's helped me make food, but he's never made anything himself," I tell them.

"I feel like Harry could have some tricks up his sleeve. I know he's been good in Sidemen cooking videos," Talia says.

"All I know is that if the food is shit, I'm calling Nandos right away," Freya states.

"I support that decision," I nod, giggling for no reason. Evelyn gives me a weird look before she starts non-stop giggling. Soon all five of us are uncontrollably laughing out of nowhere. This wine is definitely hitting us hard.

"God, I hope that food comes out soon," Evelyn says, "I have consumed nothing all day other than four glasses of wine."

"Me too," Freya says, wiping tears from her eyes, "I'm so glad you guys decided to stay a little bit longer."

"I am, too," I smile, resting my head on the couch. 

Someone's phone starts vibrating on the table and Evelyn reaches forward to grab it. She immediately groans at the screen, saying, "It's work."

"Can you ignore it?" I ask.

"I don't think so," Evelyn frowns as she stands up, "I'll be back soon."

She swipes to answer the call before walking into a random room down the hall.

"I'm surprised she answered the phone with all the wine she had. I feel like I'm barely coherent right now," Freya says.

"Evelyn always puts work first," I shrug, reaching forward for my glass.

Simon pops his head around the corner, yelling, "Twenty minutes until dinner is ready."

We all cheer as a response. I'm pretty sure three of the guys worked on dinner, while the other two made dessert. We have absolutely no idea what they made or who did what, but all I know is that it actually smells amazing in here.

About fifteen minutes pass, and Evelyn still hasn't returned. I sent her a few texts saying dinner is almost ready, but she hasn't opened them.

"I'm gonna go check on Evelyn," I announce as I stand up. I start walking down the hallway, and I turn to the only door that's shut. I open it, seeing Evelyn pacing around the room, still talking on her phone. Once she sees me, she cuts the conversation short and finally hangs up the phone.

"You okay?" I ask, noticing how stressed she seems.

She plops down on the bed and puts her head in her hands, "I hate work."

I sigh and lean against the door frame, "So why don't you quit?"

"We've been over this," Evelyn says, looking over at me, "I need the money, and I need the stability. I can't just quit on a whim."

"I get it. But you also shouldn't spend so much of your time at a job that doesn't treat you right and where you're not happy. I hate seeing you so stressed out all the time," I say.

"I know," Evelyn says, laying back on the bed. She gets a little lost in thought before she says, "I wish we could just teleport back to Ibiza and stay there forever."

"I agree," I whole-heartedly say, "But I also love being here. Honestly, London is even better than I thought it would be."

"It is. I love it here," Evelyn says, and I can tell she truly means it.

I stand up straight and say, "By the way, the food is almost done. That's actually why I came to get you."

Evelyn sits up, "Okay. I just need to reply to one text, and then I'll be right out."

I tilt my head at her and she laughs, "I promise. I'll be out there in five."

"Fine. But if you're not out in five minutes, I am stealing your phone and deleting every work contact you have."

"Deal," Evelyn laughs.

I grab the door knob and shut it behind me. I start walking down the hallway when I see Chris heading toward me.

"Hey, I was just coming to get you guys. Is Evelyn okay?" He asks.

"Yeah, she's fine. She just got caught up in some work stuff," I explain.

"Again?"

"Again," I confirm, "Her job is the worst."

Suddenly a thought comes to mind. I lower my voice a little so Evelyn can't hear and say, "Christopher, I need you to do something."

Chris gives me an odd look, "Should I be scared? Because I am."

I laugh, "No. I need you to convince Evelyn to quit her job. She's always stressed and putting all of her time and effort into this job that isn't even paying her what she deserves. I have tried to get her to quit for almost a year now, but she won't listen to me. Maybe she'll listen to you."

"You think I can convince her?"

"If anyone was going to convince her, it would be you," I say, "It's worth a shot."

Chris considers it and then nods, "I'll try."

"Thank you," I say, feeling genuinely grateful.

"No worries. I'll go check on her," He says, "You should go to the table. I think the boys are waiting for everyone to be sitting before they make their grand reveal."

"Oh no. Now I'm scared."

"You should be," Chris jokes. I laugh before I start walking to the other room. I hear Chris open the door to where Evelyn is, and I silently hope that he can get through to her. She definitely needs a new job.