Episode 7 Chapter 60

Cassie stood in line with the rest of the pack, minus Lydia, as they waited to go inside the classroom for PSATs.

On the day of PSATs, she just had to find out that her supposed to be dead mom is on the dead pool. Why did she have to find out right before the day of PSATs? Now, her brain couldn't focus on the damn PSATs because of her mom's surprise appearance. She was sure she was gonna fail. Especially since she hasn't studied for it in a while.

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asked, breaking Cassie out of her zoned-out state.

"She took it in her freshman year," Stiles replied.

Malia looked at him in disbelief. "Does that mean I could've taken it some other time?"

"Malia, you've studied harder for this than anyone," Scott said.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good."

"Well," Cassie corrected.

She turned to her. "Well, what?"

"It's do well, not do good." Malia glared at her. "Sorry, I'm being annoying. I'm just a bit stressed right now."

Stiles pulled her aside from the conversation. He made her turn to face him before speaking to her in a hushed tone.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded, a half-smile on her face. "Yep, just peachy."

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Are you sure? Because you're acting a little perky, and it's a little scary."

"There's just a lot going on in my mind right now," she replied. "I'm fine, Stiles. Seriously."

Them and the rest of the students waiting were quickly called inside the classroom. Their instructions were to press their thumbs onto an ink pad and then stamp their thumb onto their tests. After that, they were forced to turn their phones into an envelope to prevent anyone from cheating.

"Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so," the male teacher said, making Stiles quickly close the booklet. "This test is two hours and ten minutes. There will be two twenty-five-minute critical reading sections, two twenty-five-minute math sections, and an essay writing portion that will last thirty minutes. There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam." He looked at Natalie.

"I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again," she replied, getting her phone and walking out the classroom. After a few minutes, she came back. "I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura's upstairs grading papers. Do you want me to try him?"

The teacher shook his head. "We have to start. We can ask for his assistance during the first break." He looked down at his watch and began a timer on it. "You may now open your test booklets and begin."

Cassie quickly opened her booklet, reading the first math question on the page. She couldn't focus on the test at all. She couldn't even solve the first question. All the questions about her mom were starting to distract her. They were also starting to give her a headache. A really bad headache. She actually felt like fainting in that moment.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She opened her eyes, realizing that her lightheadedness was gone. Just as she was about to answer the first question, there was a loud sound coming from the desk behind her. She looked behind her and saw that the girl who was sitting at the desk had completely collapsed onto the floor. She widened her eyes at her. Did she do that or was that just a coincidence?

"Sydney!" Natalie exclaimed, rushing towards the girl's side. "Are you alright?"

"I'm okay. I just got kind of dizzy," Sydney assured, standing up.