Episode 20 Chapter 36

Cassie and Malia were shoved into their room. They fell to the floor due to the impact as the guards locked the door behind them. Malia got up first then helped Cassie get up. The were-coyote saw Cassie's expression and immediately felt guilty.

"Are you mad at me?" she asked, breaking the silence between the two.

Cassie looked up at her. "What? No, of course not. I could never be mad at you. Well, I don't get mad in general."

"Wait, so you don't get mad at all?"

"Well, sometimes I do, but my older sister always told me 'Being calm is scarier than being mad. It makes people think you're silently planning something to get revenge against them'," she quoted. "But no. I'm not mad at you. I just didn't really like the fact that you punched my boyfriend, but you had a good reason to, so I totally get it."

"Well, you said that he knocked you out and sent you here."

"Oh, that was the reason?" Cassie started to laugh. "Malia, that technically wasn't him who did it. It was the evil fox spirit inside his body. The nogitsune?"

"Oh, does that mean I have to apologize to him?"

"I mean, you don't have to. I'd prefer if you did though."

Malia sighed disappointedly. "So, I do have to apologize to him?"

"No, it's completely your choice. I'm not forcing you, Malia."

"Okay, how about the next time you see him, tell him that I said sorry."

"Malia, that's not really how it-" Cassie stopped herself. "You know what? Fine, I'll tell him that. It's the thought that counts."

"The thought is that I don't want you to be mad at me," Malia mumbled.

"I'm not mad! Seriously, it's fine. This is the third time Stiles got hit in the face this year anyways."

"Really?"

The witch nodded. "Yeah, he's been kind of a really big ass."

"Then, why are you dating him?"

"Because I love him," she replied with a soft smile on his face.

"That doesn't make any sense," Malia deadpanned.

"Yeah, I know," Cassie agreed.

"So, you're not mad at me?" she asked, wanting more clarification.

"No, I'm not mad or upset with you. Don't worry."

"Good, because you're... you're kind of, like, my only friend in this place and... the only friend I've ever had, so I don't... I don't want to make you mad," she sputtered.

Cassie smiled at the girl. She got up from her bed and went over to Malia's. She sat beside her and hugged her. Malia hugged back hesitantly, enjoying the physical touch between them.

--

It was now that part of the day. Group therapy. Cassie sat next to Malia whereas Stiles sat across from them. She refused to meet Stiles' gaze, thinking that he'd be mad at her for going with Malia and leaving his side. He was a bit mad but understood that she didn't really have a choice considering she was getting dragged away.

"I want to go back to the topic of guilt today," Morrell started. "It might surprise you to hear me say that guilt is a good thing. It's a rather... mature emotion. Malia, you said something about guilt the other day. You said it came with a visceral reaction."

"I said it made me feel sick to my stomach."

The guy next to Stiles began to cough violently. Cassie tried to ignore it and tried to keep a straight face.