42

3rd's POV

The weretiger remained restless as he quietly trailed behind the two people in front of him. With the spectacular performance, the spectators couldn't care less about the trio. Hence, the group made it safe towards the backstage without any problems.

Atsushi feels he's in a dire situation. He occasionally glanced towards his raven partner. Being cautious in any sudden surprise attack that may befall from any given moment.

Honestly, he couldn't understand what the Armed Agency was thinking. Or more specifically, what was his mentor even thinking? Pairing him up again with the sickly mafioso is his greatest nightmare. But did they hear his plead? His protest? No. They didn't. And so his stuck together with the coughing rabid dog. Of all people, he needs to breathe in the same air with him for the entirety of the mission. How he wish he could move the time faster.

He made a huge exasperated sigh.

Thank goodness Kyouka is there with him. The albino kid is just somehow grateful for a tiny bit.

"Are you okay, Atsushi?" The twin-tailed former mafioso asked with concerned.

"Yes. I'm fine, Kyouka-chan." Atsushi gave a small smile of assurance. He tilted his head towards the dark cloak mafioso. "Hmm, do you have any idea what we should do?" Him asking is just for the sake of civility. No other reason whatsoever.

"Let's split up." Was the brief answer he could get.  With that, Akutagawa headed to one of the closed doors.

"Wait! There are cam--" He immediately halted and covered his mouth.  For once he remembered Tanizaki who was in-charged of getting rid of their footprints. But then again, they didn't hear anything from the orangehead.

The only information they just received a moment ago was the word 'watch your back'. That was from the acclaimed greatest detective.

In a swift motion, the raven lad used his ability, Rashoumon. The shadow-like beast expanded its claws to the cameras setting them up on the blind spot direction that made the trio remained undetected from the surveiling CCTV.

The silver-haired kid scrunched his nose feeling embarrassed. Right. Of course. Given this situation, Akutagawa knows what to do.

"Atsushi..." Kyouka tugged on his sleeves. "We should go."

"Ah, yes." The duo followed afterwards and started checking every closed and opened doors they went across with.

Surprisingly, there are no other people in the backstage. Every doors they have checked was all filled with bunch of colorful vibrant costumes, make-up kits, feathered hats and jewelries. There are piled of boxes with ribbons, masks, decor balls, bowling pins and every circus items there is to find. But no living soul. The rooms are all empty of living existence.

"Remain vigilant." The rabid dog coughed. "Stay alert, jinko."

"I am." Atsushi pouted. "And don't call me jinko. I have a name."

Akutagawa didn't bother to answer back. He stood still, his hands inside his dark cloak. A confused expression was visible on his face.

"Hmm...wha---what is it?" The weretiger almost stuttered.

"There's something strange about this." Akutagawa stated with a frown.

The former mafioso timidly nodded. "This place seems to be unkept. Although there are items here that can be used for the show. They remain untouched."

"We didn't see anyone come and go. There are no people around. " The raven boy seconded.

The albino looked at the duo for a while before coming with his own conclusion. "Could it be possible that the French Mafia are here for a one-man show?" As incredulous at it may sound, that's the only idea his brain could come up so far.

"If what you say is true then we won't have a problem then." Akutagawa's gaze roamed around the area. Searching for every direction they might have missed.

"What do you mean?" The silvered-haired looked at the raven lad puzzled.

A shook of head and a disappointed expression was only the answer he was given. Did he just brush me off twice? Was the question that run to the weretiger's head.

"Oi! Akutaga---"He was supposed to confront the sickly mafioso but refrained himself from doing so when Kyouka signaled him to be quiet.

All of the sudden the room became cold and heavy. The weretiger looked at the other two who remained still on their position while their wary gazes where somewhere directed above.

Atsushi felt the hair on his nape rose. His animal instinct is telling him to leave the place immediately. Cold sweats started to form on his forehead. He knew whoever the unknown entity that just greeted them might be the worst for the silvered-haired to face. 

"Jinko! Duck!" A whip almost landed on his back if not for Akutagawa using his ability to shield him from the deadly attack. Thanks to that he only got a small cut from his right shoulder.  "What are you doing?! Pull yourself together!" The rabid dog hollered making the albino kid snapped out from his anxious thoughts.

"Ah---ah! I'm...I'm sorry!!!" The weretiger run fast towards the duo as he glanced above to see their enemy. His mouth eventually run dry when he set his eyes towards the man.

Atsushi's day couldn't get any worst than it already is. Their opponent is the one he solely prayed not to cross path with. With that amused wicked grin that was set upon him, he knew the man already knows his ability.

"Oh dear, did I scare the little kitty?"

The American Hunter looked at the silvered-kid like a prey ready to be capture.

"Atsushi..." Kyouka pulled out her dagger and positioned herself for defense. "No matter what happens, you must avoid getting hit by his whip."

The miserable kid couldn't helped but gulped. "I know, Kyouka-chan. Thanks for reminding." Now he's getting nervous again.

"Tch! You must have a d*mn bad luck, jinko. You better not let yourself be tame by that animal fanatic." The sickly mafioso coughed before looking at him with disgust. Atsushi immediately scowled.

"I'm not! Stop looking at me like some feral animal ready to be caught!" The albino kid yelled at the raven lad.

Akutagawa just scoffed. "You were just a moment ago."

"Guys...I think this is not the time to argue." The former mafioso interceded to pacify the bickering duo while her eyes remained focus on their enemy who was plainly enjoying the duo's bantering.

The rabid dog passed by the weretiger. "Step aside, jinko...Rashoumon!" The emo kid summoned his shadow-like beast from his cloak. Its black fangs ready to attack.

"Hmp! Don't treat me as if I'm a baggage to be carried! Beast beneath the Moonlight!" The albino transformed with tiger limbs. He was obviously pouting.

Well even though they hate the present situation to death, they came to a silent agreement to set that thing aside and fight along side with each other.  They still have to face, Mr. Clyde Beatty, a.k.a, the Animal Hunter, after all.