- forty three -

I have yet told a single soul about the Death Mark. It was hard to keep my mind off of it as well. The weight of the Dark Mark on my left arm felt heavier with each passing day. It seemed to loom over me, a constant reminder of the darkness that I had unwillingly become a part of.

My mind kept drifting back to the Mark, the pain it represented, and the fear it instilled in me. Keeping it a secret from everyone, including Draco, was becoming increasingly difficult.

Even when I was out of Hogwarts for the summer, I just didn't feel myself. The dark secret I kept inside was slowly eating me away. Just like last summer, Draco visited pretty often.

It wasn't hard for him to notice the change in me. He would ask if something was bothering me, but each time, I brushed it off, unable to find the right words to explain the truth.

"Y/n?" Draco's voice broke through my thoughts as he approached, concern etched on his face. "You've been distant lately. What's wrong?"

I hesitated for a moment, the words catching in my throat. But looking into Draco's eyes, I realized that I couldn't keep this secret any longer. Not from him.

I felt tears forming and falling down as I stepped back to sit down on my bed. Draco sat right next to me. I looked at him and instantly broke into sobs and wrapped my arms around him as I thought about the mark.

"I'm sorry," I muttered as I held him tighter, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." Tears streamed down my face nonstop as he rubbed my back to calm me down.

Draco held me close, his arms a comforting embrace. "Shh, it's okay," he whispered, his voice soothing and gentle. "Don't apologize."

As the sobs began to subside, I pulled away and mustered the strength to speak, my voice still shaky. "I... I need to tell you something, Draco," I said, wiping away my tears with the back of my hand. "It's about that night, the night I disappeared."

He nodded, his eyes never leaving mine, encouraging me to continue.

"Vold... You-Know-Who," I began, my voice still shaky from crying. "He casted the Cruciatus Curse on me multiple times, and then... he branded me with the Dark Mark."

Draco's expression shifted from concern to shock, his grip on me tightening. "The Dark Mark?" he whispered, as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing. I looked away and nodded.

Draco was quiet for a few moments before he hurriedly took my left arm and rolled up my sleeve, "Did you cast a high-level Glamour Charm?"

"...No... I-I don't know, it was there when I woke up in the Hospital Wing... Why?"

"We can't have anyone else know outside of me and you. But were you able to remove the charm for a moment to check?"

I nodded, "I did, once, but that was the first and last time I did it. I didn't want to look at it."

Draco muttered something under his breath as his eyebrows narrowed, "It's a low-level, we need someone of age to cast it."

"But... won't that defeat the whole 'outside of me and you' purpose?"

Draco sighed, his expression filled with concern and frustration. "I know, Y/n, it's risky. But we need the help. If we use magic outside of Hogwarts, it'll be against the law, and our little secret will be leaked out for the whole world to see, that's what I fear."

I remained silent for a few seconds and decided that what Draco said was right. "Well, who do you have in mind?"

"Snape."

I hesitated, "I know Snape helped us before, but this time it's different, are you sure?"

"I'm completely sure, Y/n, trust me, he'll help us," Draco's eyes looked into mine sincerely. I nodded.

"We'll do that then."

--

I never imagined to be in a professor's house during summer break, but here we are. Draco and I sitting right across from Snape in his living room.

The atmosphere in Snape's living room was tense as we waited for him to speak. His dark eyes moved from Draco to me, assessing our resolve and the seriousness of our situation. The knowledge of the Dark Mark on my arm was now shared with him.

"You both know that coming to me was a risky decision," Snape finally spoke, his voice low and measured. "Casting a high-level Glamour is no big deal, but confiding someone with a secret that dark..."

His eyes trailed between Draco and I, waiting for one of us to speak.

"Well, you are my godfather," Draco stated.

Snape's expression slightly tensed up at Draco's words, though his demeanor remained guarded. "Yes, I am," he replied. "But must I remind you that Lucius is also your father? Do you really need me to spell everything out to you?"

Draco's shoulders tensed at Snape's reminder of his father, and he glanced away, his jaw clenched. "You don't need to," he muttered, "I know that he probably took part in this matter too."

Snape let out a heavy sigh, "I'll cast the Glamour, but if I find out either of you spilled the secret out to anyone else this recklessly..." He shot us both a glare, "You already know what will happen."

Snape stood up and walked over to me, "Your left arm, Potter."

"...Yes, sir," I raised my left arm and rolled up my sleeve. He muttered a spell to remove the low-level Glamour, revealing the Dark Mark that I hated with my life.

Snape's expression hardened as he saw the Dark Mark on my arm. His left arm slightly shifted uncomfortably. Snape's gaze lingered on the mark, his expression inscrutable.

He then proceeded to cast the high-level Glamour Charm, his wand moving with precision as he concealed the Mark.

"There," Snape said, stepping back to assess his work. "The Dark Mark is hidden for now. But, it won't last indefinitely. You must return to me periodically so I can renew the Glamour."

I nodded, feeling a mix of relief and gratitude. "Thank you, Professor," I thanked him.

Draco smiled, "Thank you, I mean it."

Snape's gaze softened ever so slightly. "I'm doing this not just for you but also for Draco," he said, his tone still stern. "I better not see either of you too deep in this mess."

"I'll make sure of that to the best of my abilities," Draco assured him.

"And you'll return to me regularly so I can renew the Glamour," Snape reminded us.

"Yes, of course," I replied.

"As long as the Glamour is in place, the Dark Mark will remain hidden," Snape said. "But if it ever starts to fade, come to me immediately."

"We will," Draco said.

With that, Snape's sighed. "I hope you both know what you're getting yourselves into," he said, sounding almost paternal.

"We do," I said.

Snape nodded and then turned to Draco. "You have your mother's eyes," he said quietly, almost as if speaking to himself. "Don't forget that, Draco."

Draco seemed taken aback by the unexpected comment, but he nodded in acknowledgment. "I won't," he replied softly.

"Good," Snape said, his demeanor returning to its usual stoicism. "Now, it's time for you both to leave. Remember, not a word of this to anyone else. The fewer people who know, the better."

"We understand," I said, standing up.