The night is burning

Chapter 29: The night is burning.

Dean lay down in his bed. Filled with guilt. Castiel and John were both outside and probably had no place to sleep. He stared at the wall for several minutes or maybe even hours. His bed seemed so empty. He had gotten used to sleeping in Castiel's presence. He missed the warmth of his body. He couldn't fill that void. He could still feel his breathing, his steady heartbeat. His hair in which Dean spent hours running his hands through the dark wicks.

He noticed that Castiel had left his trench coat. He took it and a piece of paper fell out. There was just a rather badly drawn but still cute little bee in a house with a moose, a hedgehog and a squirrel. The squirrel and the bee were holding hands and a small heart was drawn on top of the two. It made him cry. He doesn't know how long. Castiel had drawn this for him. He took his trench coat and slept on the floor, Castiel's coat was his only cover. The little note next to it. He had trouble falling asleep.

Dean was going home. It had been a long day of hunting and he couldn't wait to see his love again. When he entered the room, he noticed that the angel was nowhere. He calls his name several times but no response. He lay down on the bed and a drop of liquid fell on his cheek. And another, and another. When Dean opened his eyes, Castiel was hanging on the wall, belly open, face contorted in pain. He knew exactly what was going to happen next. Cass' body began to burn. The love of his life was blazing under an atrocious flame and he had been able to do nothing to save him. He thought it was the end but no. Cass was an angel. He was still alive.
-Dean!
He screamed his name and Dean screamed his angel's name.

Dean woke up in horror. Sam was in front of him.

-You shouted Cass's name, are you ok?
- Yes, Sammy. Said Dean, wiping the tears on his cheek.
-I still don't understand why he left.
-He had other things to do as usual, it's not his fault.
-Dean, you have tears in your eyes. Besides, you can't sleep on the floor with only his coat as your blanket. I know you're in pain, but he's alive.

Dean didn't go back to sleep. He ate something and headed for the door. Part of him wanted to smash the door, run in the cold half moon night and catch up with Cass. He held his phone tightly in his hands. He never knew when he might respond.