Chapter 154

Cheng Xiuyun died with grievances.

Cheng Dayong cremated her body on the spot and brought her ashes back to Jin City.

As for Shi Xiuneng, he was shot dead not long after because he had harmed someone.

The reason why Shi Xingrui was sent to the Northwest for reform through labor was because the Wen family and her parents were here.

Now that both Cheng Xiuyun and Shi Xiuneng were dead, Cheng Dayong felt guilty about Cheng Xiuyun's death and wanted to bring Shi Xingrui back to Jin City.

However, it was 1984 now. The country had issued the "Decision on Cracking Down on Criminal Crimes" last year and the crackdown was still ongoing.

Some people were sentenced to more than ten years for stealing from the canteen, and some underage people were sentenced to seven to eight years for robbing on the street.

Shi Xingrui almost killed a life. She was lucky that she was not sentenced to death again. How could they let her go back to Jin City?

She had no parents and had to live with other criminals. It was impossible to reduce her sentence.

Cheng Dayong had no choice but to leave with Cheng Xiuyun's ashes.

Shi Xingrui looked at her uncle's back view and cried heartbreakingly. Her eyes were filled with fear and she no longer had the arrogance and hostility she used to have.

She knew that no one could protect her from now on. She had to survive here alone.

The Wen family knew about Cheng Xiuyun's death.

After discussing with Tong Xuelu, Old Mr. Wen did not hide it from Wen Rugui.

Wen Rugui was teaching the twins at that time. After being called out by Tong Xuelu, he was stunned for a moment. Then, he said, "Okay."

Tong Xuelu's gaze fell on his face. She reached out and held his hand. "You can tell me if you have any thoughts. Don't keep it to yourself."

Wen Rugui then realized that she was worried about him. He held her hand. "I'm fine. I just didn't expect her to be serious this time."

When Cheng Dayong came to look for them that day, he subconsciously thought that it was another trick. In the past three years, the Cheng family had contacted him several times.

They were apologizing and trying to curry favor with him, but he knew very well what their purpose was.

However, he didn't expect that Cheng Xiuyun was really dead. He was shocked when he heard the news just now.

As for the discomfort, it wasn't.

When Tong Xuelu saw that he really didn't look uncomfortable, he felt relieved. "I'll go to the kitchen to make something for you to eat. What do you want to eat?"

The warm spring sun shone down, and many green buds sprouted from the tree branches in the courtyard. The mooncakes walked back and forth under the wall with their sandbags, looking valiant like two guards.

There was a fat orange cat sunbathing in the corridor. It was the cat they had raised two years ago. Its name was Green Tortoise, and it had finally fulfilled its long-cherished wish.