Chapter 42

This chapter contains more violence than previous chapters so you can skip that scene if you're not comfortable while reading it...

_________________________________________

Leah's POV :

I sit alone in the dimly lit basement, my mind swirling with a mixture of fear, pain, and despair. The cold, damp walls seem to close in on me, reflecting the suffocating grip my father has on my life. I feel as if my existence has become an endless cycle of misery, an inescapable nightmare from which I can't wake. 

I had not slept the whole night. My skin has turned pale. I haven't eaten anything since the morning. I'm sitting against the wall, pulling my legs up to my chest and wrapping my arms around them. I rest my forehead on my arm trying to sleep when suddenly the door to the basement slams open, the sound reverberating through the confined space.

 Fear grabs me, and I instinctively recoil, my body trembling with apprehension. My father stand there, his menacing presence casting a long, dark shadow over my already shattered spirit. The cruel smirk that played on his lips sent shivers down my spine, reminding me of the horrors I had endured at his hands. I feel trapped, cornered, with no means of escape.

He closes the door quietly and advances toward me. 

My heart pounded in my chest as I lay eyes on my father, the familiar sight of him holding a bottle of glass filled with alcohol sending shivers down my spine. It had been years since I had witnessed him in such a state, but the memories of his drunken violence still haunt me. My hands tremble involuntarily, and a knot forms in my stomach. The fear and anxiety that had become all too familiar came rushing back, threatening to overwhelm me.

My mind races with conflicting emotions. Anger, sadness, and a deep-rooted fear battle for dominance within me. I wished I could run away, and escape the turmoil that threatened to consume me once again.

He stands straight right in front of me and curls down. I feel suffocation as I stare into his dark brown eyes. His swelled-up face reminds me of when Ares smacked his face against the burning stove and the way he screamed for help.

"Within five days we will departure for Denmark and live the life we used to" He says, his eyes burning with rage as if he will assault me at any time.

"No" I utter to myself as a tear streamed down my cheek.

"But before that" He pauses. 

He grabs my arm and pulls me making me gasp in fear. He places my hand on the floor, by holding my wrist while he sits cross-legged. He instantly shatters the bottle against the floor. My scream pierces through the air. The sound of breaking glass echoes in the room, and my heart races even faster. The alcohol splatters across the floor, mixing with the sharp fragments of glass, creating a dangerous and volatile situation. My fear intensifies as I watch my father, his hands clutching the broken bottle, now transformed into a weapon with jagged edges. My mind races, desperately searching for a way to protect myself from the potential harm that lurks before me.

I try to yank my hand but my father's grip is very strong.

Tears well up in my eyes as I realize that I am facing a critical moment, one that demands decisive action. I know I can't reason with my father in his intoxicated state. It is clear that my safety and well-being were at risk.

"Answer my question truthfully otherwise" He warns as he places the jagged edge of the bottle on the dorsal side of my hand. I sob.

"Where is your mother?" He asks as he leans in.

"I...I don't know" I stutter as I swallow hard and stare at the bumpy edge of the bottle my father is holding.

"I said be honest!" He scowls as he digs the edge of the bottle inside my hand until my hand bleeds. I baulk in pain and cry out loud.

"I really don't know" I sob.

He digs deeper.

"She abandoned me, I swear I...I don't know in which corner of the world she resides right now" I sniffle as he frees me from his grip and I instantly pull my hand. A sharp pain runs through my body as the blood slides down my hand reaching my elbow. 

I stare at my injured hand when my father grabs my hair, forcing me to look at him. 

"See even your mother thought that you are valueless" He chuckles evilly.

"I regret not killing your mother before you took birth" He says and pushes me back.

"But until and unless I find your mother...I want you to go through more pain. The pain you lent me ever since you were born" He smirks as he unbuckled his belt. I crawl backwards.

"No, please" I beg him as tears roll down my cheeks.

The worst thing is this isn't a dream.

He lifts the belt in the air and flogs it on my arm. I scream in pain. His action makes me feel as if I am a child again. he used to burst his anger on me like this every day.

He whips me with his belt until I was lying on the floor and begging him to stop. 

He takes a few steps back. 

"Don't worry, I won't kill you but I'll treat you in such a way which will be worst than death" He says.

My body is hurting so bad that it's difficult for me to even move a finger. My arms are covered with bruises. My neck, my legs, my back every single part of my body aches.

He utters some cursing words about me while walking out of the basement and banging the door shut. Tears flowed uncontrollably as I find myself overwhelmed by a torrent of emotions. The pain of my current situation mingles with the ache of longing for Ares, the one person who has shown me love and protection amidst the darkness of my father's basement.

My heart aches for the comfort and security I have felt in Ares' presence. His kindness and unwavering support have given her hope during the darkest times. The memories of our stolen moments together, the whispers of encouragement, and the warmth of his embrace felt like distant echoes in my mind.

As I cry, I yearn for the strength that Ares had inspired within me. I cling to the memories of our connection, desperately holding on to the belief that love could conquer the cruelty I endure. But now, locked away from him, I feel isolated and vulnerable.

My father's actions have not only stolen my freedom but also severe the lifeline I had found in Ares. The weight of my longing and the fear of never seeing him again presses down on my chest, making it difficult to breathe. The absence of his protective presence leaves me feeling exposed and defenceless against my father's wrath.

Ares, where are you? I need you, please.