Chapter 23 - Whispers of a Sinister Summer

Ayo ok sooooo WE REACHED 10K READS??!!

Damn thank you so much you guysss (*꒦ິ꒳꒦ີ)

Does anyone want a 10K special or smth??

I really don't have a lot of ideas so feel free to gimme a few suggestions haha 

◉‿◉

~💙~

Warm was the tantalising summer sun that constantly radiated a balmy intensity onto vast lands of sand, forests, and meadows. 

While flushing out any darkness with its generous floods of light, the sweltering season still invited banquets of rain to shower over twilight. The days always had a lingering, tepid quality in its air.

With dawn breaking out like an egg yolk, nights unleashed themselves like a slow predator, prowling among the high grass. 

Birds and bats could be heard in both day and night; hunting the grounds for insects and fluttering their wings under tree branches and dark caves as they seemed for refuge and rest.

Cicadas buzzed in the dark of midnight, which were hot and sultry in its deepest moments.

Summer was the kind of liveliness in nature that came about in a lazy manner. 

Yet despite that, the summer days were no longer languid for any of them.

...

Days became slow and sticky.

The other hashiras had started training while Shinobu spent her hours concocting poisons and scrupulously examining and remaking the meticulous formulas of her lethal liquids. 

Giyuu, on the other hand, had infamously (word got around the corps quickly via the gossip-loving kakushi) rejected the hashira training programme completely and had gone back to his own estate, having disappeared from humanity to do whatever he was obliged to do.

From the view of a tiny crack in her room's blinds, Shinobu could always peer through and see Tanjiro and his friends running around the court yards in a frenzy of robust, pure ecstatic energy. She sighed and thought of her own frail body that couldn't even take on basic hashira training.

~Will it ever be enough for me?~

She turned back to her dimly lit workspace, hunching over the stacks and lists of new ingredients she had gathered for the poison recipes.