Chapter 13 - What is Love?

Since exams are actually real (they only became reality for me yesterday) I decided I will update every 2 days until the end of next month!! o(TヘTo)

Bear with me for this period of time please!! ( ╥ω╥ )

~💜~

Churning were the thoughts that raced against her skull.

How was this happening?

What was her brain doing to her?

Why?

Why was he always on her mind now?

The moment he left, he would enter her musings; the second her eyes closed, he would be found swimming in the sea of her daydreams.

When he seldom visited her, or was on a mission, she missed him terribly and a ghastly emptiness in her spirits seemed to always be haunting the Butterfly estate.

Her face lights up at the thought of him, but then plummets into darkness at the awareness of his absence.

An inexplicable restlessness has taken over her heart.

...

Shinobu stared out whimsically at the autumn trees, orange and brown leaves falling and drifting with the breeze. 

"Kocho-sama?" Aoi brought the hashira back to Earth.

"Ara ara~ sorry, I may be a bit caught up with my thoughts today," she apologised and left after helping Aoi with the patients for the rest of the morning.

...

"Kocho," an extremely familiar voice echoed in the back of her head as she was back in her room, mixing poisons.

~Get out, Tomioka-san~ Shinobu thought irritably as her grip on the vials of poison trembled.

"Kocho."

~No~

"Kocho."

"Stop it!" she growled under her breath, the liquid toxins almost spilling out.

~Just come back~

...

Back at his own estate, Giyuu was lying on his back in his meadow-like garden, staring at the cloud-infused sky.

-That one looks like a butterfly- he thought as he tried to make out the shapes of each cloud.

"Another butterfly..." he said, breathless. After realising what he had uttered, he immediately stood up and went to train.

-Get out of my head-

...

Repeatedly slashing the air sharply, Giyuu was suddenly aware that he had been doing the same motion for an hour.

-What's happening?-

And then he closed his eyes, and it struck him; it was her. 

She was the one intruding his brain: that little purple butterfly.

-I can't with you, Kocho-

...

As she was walking along the empty hallways, she looked down onto the floor solemnly in a feeling of seclusion.

THUD!

Suddenly, her face was planted into some kind of soft fabric. Shinobu looked up nervously yet with a kind of deja vu that thrilled her dull senses.

"Kocho," that same voice that had followed her throughout the day had now materialised into some kind of evidence that she wasn't crazy.

"A-ah!! Tomioka-san, how clumsy of me," she smiled, surprisingly uneasy with the fact that they hadn't seen each other for more than a month, "is there anything I can help you with?"

Some kind of silence, this time as awkward as a block of ice needing to be broken, ensued for many minutes. The air was thick with a discomfort so solid you could almost touch it.

The insect pillar didn't see it, but the water hashira had been darting his eyes back and forth for an excuse; he came in hopes to get a tiny glimpse of her but they had now met again!!

"Nothing," he said coldly, and then turned to leave.

~Oh~

-Why did I do that-

Both of their much anticipated hopes and expectations of their next meeting was shattered with a bittersweet goodbye and the ignorance of their feelings.

...

I'm so sorry that it's short but this is kind of supposed to be in the next chapter but if it was then it would be too long!! (◕︿◕✿)

I'll try to update everyday but I hope you can understand if I skip in between the days!! 

620 words