Chapter 12 - Grateful for You

Next few chapters will be fluff because who doesn't want some cute moments?? <3

~💜~

Hazy, her mind churned like a whirlpool.

She longed for her nights to stop feeling like a nightmare.

She longed for the day that the spinning would calm into equilibrium.

She longed for that tranquility.

Despite her desperate attempts, the longing to get out of the whirlpool never ceased.

That peace?

She's heard of it, desired it, chased it.

But peace was a slippery line of silk: smooth and satisfying at the touch, yet its own rewarding attributes made it too slippery.

That long, beautiful, magnificent line of silk-like peace always slid out of her frantic grasps.

...

Knock, knock, knock

A familiar rapping on the doors made her ears perk.

"Come in," she called out, trying to hide her excitement.

And there he was, in his usual corps uniform and mismatched haori. Even though his hair seemed messy and was untied, it had now become the usual sight for the insect pillar.

"Moshi moshi~ what brings you here so early in the morning, Tomioka-san?" she inquired innocently.

It was obvious that he was holding a box infront of him but Shinobu only wanted to tease him further.

"..." he simply placed it on the table where she was sitting by and then stood there; he stared at her with eyes expecting of a reply while she stared back but with ones of curiosity and inquiry.

He took it as a sign to leave and turned his head to proceed.

"Ara ara~ don't leave immediately!!" Shinobu said, beckoning him to sit with her, "Wouldn't that be rude?"

He nodded stiffly and took a seat.

The pillar then peered at the box and decided to slowly open it. The contents of it was of much surprise to her.

~Mochi cake?~

Catching her confusion, Giyuu attempted to explain, "I-It's a gift for getting better-"

"Did you bake this yourself?" she inquired, glancing at his dishevelled appearance and clothes with a smirk.

"Y-yes, it was Mitsuri's recipe."

Shinobu smiled sweetly, "Thank you."

Giyuu was caught off guard by her sincerity, "I-, you're welcome."

She smiled again, this time with her eyes closed, and then proceeded to indulge in the cake, her eyes twinkled with delight. "This is actually good!" she exclaimed, not trying to hide her initial prejudice on his baking skills.

The water hashira, slightly offended, tried to conceal his own pride of his work.

"You should try your own cake!" she offered him a fork.

He accepted and joined her as they both ate the delicious mochi cake (of course it's amazing because it's Mitsuri's own recipe). A slight shine glimmered in his eyes at the first bite (he must've been acknowledging how amazing he actually was at baking lmao).

...

After spending countless minutes attempting to finish the jumbo size cake, Shinobu slammed her head onto the table, "I can't eat anymore, fu-fu-fu~"

Giyuu, equally as full, sighed and patted her on the back as a form of consolation.

"I guess that was my breakfast... it was so scrumptious," she sighed.

He subtly smiled at her remark.

After having recovered from the big meal, Shinobu lifted her head again and looked at him. "Do you have any missions today?"

He shook his head.

"Then why are you in your corps uniform?"

"It just seems normal for me..."

"Well definitely not with that kind of chaotic hair of yours," she shook her head in dismay, "here, let me fix it." She walked over to get something from her cabinets.

"What are you doing..."

"About to fix your hair," she said as she walked over to Giyuu with a comb and turned his head so his back would be facing her. She then started brushing out his unruly locks, often times also combing it down with her soft fingers. 

"You should take better care of your hair, Tomioka-san; it's a shame that such beautiful, black, long hair should go to waste by it being tied back," she said as she continued brushing it out with overt meticulous care.

Something pulled at his own feelings when she said that. "A shame?" he inquired.

"Yes, the amount of potential you have without your hair tie is amazing, try to appreciate it." Shinobu chuckled again and then let go, "There, it's all better now, don't try to tie it back up."

Giyuu looked back at her. "Don't tie your hair either, then," he said blandly, yet quiet boldly.

The petite hashira tilted her head. He then reached for behind her ears and then effortlessly undid the bun that always neatly held her violet-tipped locks, gently placing the butterfly pin on the table.

"Better," he mumbled under his breath.

Shinobu, with slightly rosy cheeks, chuckled, "Ara ara~ thank you, Tomioka-san."

The invisible strings tugged at his heart again.

-What is this feeling?-

~Is this peace?~

...

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!!

If you have any ideas or specific scenarios you want me to write and if it fits, then I might be able to squeeze it into the storyline!!

Have a nice day (or night for the night owls out there) ٩(◕‿◕。)۶

825 words