Chapter 6 - Confessions of a Nihilist

Giyuu's character development coming soon but this chapter focuses on Giyuushino as a whole (and resolving stufff I guess) <3

Btw thank you so much for 100 reads (first fanfic I've written so this is not small!)

Anyone who has been following this story from the very beginning and anyone who has engaged and voted for my story... I actually love you sm rn

~💙~

As the seconds ticked by, the hours went on like minutes, and the numerous sunrises and sunsets turned to a multitude of days.

A week had passed, and the serenity of it was what made it seem like a fever dream.

Idyllic was an understatement for the amount of quietude the two had experienced in those fleeting periods of time between dawn and twilight.

It seemed that these kinds of desirable days were fugacious. They had never taken it for granted yet...

Yet maybe... enjoying it instead of worrying about these transient moments were what made them so prized and hallowed.

...

Shinobu's unintentionally large dose of Wisteria poison had resulted in her being confined to her room in the Butterfly estate for a week.

It pained her mentality and ego to know that other hashiras were out defeating hundreds of demons and killing lower moons while she was sleeping in a bed all day, looking frail and not fit to even be a demon slayer.

However, she would've been lying to herself if she didn't admit that she frankly enjoyed the calm of staying in her room and sleeping, reading, and stretching.

She would occasionally go out for a run to maintain her speed. Yet even if she didn't feel like it, spring's baby pink sakura blossoms blooming along the walls and cracks of the estate always motivated her to go outside and walk.

Giyuu, blessed with the "joy" of not having any faraway missions, always came to visit Shinobu in the evening, sometimes even starting to eat dinner with her.

...

5th night of Giyuu's visit

"Konbanwa, Tomioka-san," Shinobu greeted him cheerily as he walked into her room.

It was the 5th night of his visit yet it was only the 3rd of him staying to eat dinner with her.

He sat down on the opposite side of the kotatsu (Japanese dinner table, the one that's really low), where green tea was already set up for the both of them.

"How are you?" Shinobu asked, this time smiling sincerely and with a genuine voice.

Giyuu looked up from his cup of tea and at her face. It was pale, yet not as pale as when he had found her that night, and her eyes still hinted the powerful gleam she always bore but the twinkle not as bright as before.

Her hair was let loose from her usual butterfly hair pin.

It was beautiful; shoulder-length with violet purple tips that complemented her deep eyes.

How could someone in such a battered mental and physical state still look so majestic and exquisite?

He couldn't help but feel horrible for her.

"I'm s-sorry," he muttered, his eyes on the table.

Shinobu tilted her head in confusion, "For what?"

"For not getting there faster," he said, "if I was there earlier you wou-"

"Shut up," Shinobu interrupted him with a cold look that pierced his own eyes, "you can't blame yourself for what I decided to do. It was my decision and you can't control what I was thinking back then. So, shut up."

"I-I, I don't understand why you would do that," he said with sincerity and composure, "why would you want to-"

"I need to avenge them all. My family, and defend my sisters," she said with her two hands on her tea.

"..." he listened intently at her message.

"I am not a coward. I may be the shortest and the weakest, but I am not afraid to die, for the sake of defeating those wretched beings."

"You don't need to poison yourself for that."

"No, but I do. I have acknowledged my weaknesses, and now, I'll hone my smarts and intelligence to make up for the physical."

"I know what it feels like to lose loved ones, especially when I should've been the one to die, but, its no reason for us to just try to kill ourselves too. They gave their lives for a reason."

"No but you don't understand. I have to do this. For every demon killed, 10 lives are saved, imagine if I could kill an upper moon. I'd be able to save the lives of hundreds and maybe even thousands of people."

"But you don't get it. The point of bei-"

"No, you don't get it," Shinobu interrupted Giyuu before he could speak, "are you really going to argue with me against this? I thought you knew, out of everybody, that being a hashira needs sacrifices."

"I do-"

"I guess you weren't who I thought you were. How can you even be a hashira if you're going to be so selfish and scared of death? You're a fake."

With that, a seemingly impenetrable wall within Giyuu Tomioka broke, like fragile glass smashed by a ball that hurled at it with the speed of light. That ball was her words, and the wall's damage seemed to be irrevocable.

His pupils dilated for a moment as Shinobu's eyes also widened at the realisation of what she had blurted out in the midst of her pent up rage.

Giyuu immediately stood up and hastened to leave the room.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't-t-" the door slammed in front of her, "mean to say th-that..."

"Me and my stupid mouth," she said under her breath before she burst into sobs at the awareness of how alone she was in that moment.

"Forgive me..."

...

Awww this is so sad honestly, I didn't plan for Shinobu to be crying but I guess that's how the story's flowing.

Btw, if you liked this then please give me a vote or any kind of interaction because I swear to god it actually makes my day :D

980 words (yasss my word count is going up!!)