Chapter 16 - Impose of Autumn

I literally want to get the plot for this story rollingggg but I feel like we need some actual romance and fluff in the middle

I can't stop folding for this couple tbh haha.

~💙~

The slow decline of the year towards winter was like a gradual yet treacherous mountain, sloping and calm despite its jagged spikes that were hidden by the fallen leaves.

Autumn. A slow, lingering death  from the peaks of summer into the cold and dark.

Unexpectedly warm, typically windy and dull, with hints of vibrant oranges and yellows that hid beneath the browns and beiges.

Nothing, if not atmospheric, it is a season of omen; flocking birds, running deer, the colour of a muddy-like death everywhere. It is a season of kaleidoscopic colours; the crunch of the leaves beneath you and the crisp of the fresh air.

Autumn: life and death.

It was eating them both alive.

...

In the weeks before the Tsukimi festival, an uncontrollable restlessness overcame Giyuu. From the slightest sight of her to the subtlest interactions, it never failed to make his heart race faster.

Her elegance was a sight to behold and he often caught himself tripping on his own feet when getting a chance to see her.

"My my, Tomioka-san, what's happening to you these days?" she would often tease him.

As for her, Shinobu also struggled to keep her cool and conceal her own unattended feelings for him.

There was one interaction she could not get over. 

He was walking down the hallways of the estate once again, fatefully coming across her. Dumbstruck by her own thoughts, which were in fact of him, and the actual reality of Giyuu standing in front of her, Shinobu could do nothing else than stand there.

In an awkward silence that she had strived to always break, her words were lost and his were never found. Giyuu simply patted her on the head and walked past.

~how embarassing~

...

It was another hashira meeting, Shinobu and Giyuu sitting on opposite ends of the room.

"I hope you can all understand my request," Ubuyashiki blabbed on but her mind blocked the noises out. She turned her head round to catch a quick glance at him, finding that he was already looking at her.

Completely caught off guard, they both turned their heads the opposite ways.

Mitsuri giggled, Obanai covered her mouth, Rengoku laugh-shouted, and Kanae "innocently" smiled at Shinobu.

"I see..." Ubuyashiki said under his breath, "Well, I shall dismiss you all if there are no questions."

The hashiras exchanged a few short comments and then "broke up" as usual except for Shinobu and Giyuu. In fact, the whole group was actually hiding behind a series of bushes expertly planted by Ubuyashiki, waiting to see their interactions.

The two, the insect and water pillar, were both awkwardly standing, looking at their feet.

"I-" the two both started simultaneously in overwhelming voices.

"You go first," Shinobu said.

"I- uhm, do you want to celebrate Tsukimi with me?" he blurted out in a rush.

"Y-yes," she sighed in relief.

"..." the ground shuffled beneath his feet.

"Ara ara~ do you finally like me? Or at least tolerate me, Tomioka-san?" Shinobu smirked slyly after regaining her composure.

"Classic sis!" Kanae whispered proudly, Sanemi trying to cover her mouth so the huddled group don't get caught.

"No," Giyuu replied coldly and then walked away.

"Hey hey, I'm just joking!" Shinobu teases, grabbing him by his wrist and sending a shudder of nostalgia down his spine.

"I know," he said again, patting her on the head once and walking away once again.

...

"Eeeeekkkkk!!! Why are they so adorable together??" Mitsuri squeals once the group have split up and now it was just her and the snake pillar.

"As if they can do better than us," he grumbles, jealous of the attention Mitsuri gives to the couple-to-be.

"Well you'll always be my favourite, don't worry!!" she exclaimed while snuggling her face into his shoulder and squeezing his hand.

...

Ending this short chapter with some amazing Obamitsu chemistry!!

660 words