Chapter 5 - Your Poison Within

Shinobu's character development chapter!! (dw, there will still be Giyuu)

Can we js appreciate how pretty she is tho...

~💜~

Hanging from the sky was the illuminated moon, casting a pale glow over the serene landscape. 

It was quiet. Not eerily quiet, just simply quiet. The quiet that she desired, the quiet she needed to contemplate and process her thoughts.

Scattered like marbles that rolled across the velvet darkness, fine, twinkling stars loomed over the pleasantly placid night.

The soothing rhythms of owls, rivers, and the faint playing of a koto (a Japanese zither/string instrument) in the distance could be heard.

If it wasn't for her deep thoughts, the melody of midnight would've already lulled her to sleep.

But no, not at this hour would she give it up.

...

"Shinobu!! Kanae!!"

"Shinobu, you can do this. So do your best."

The words and screams of her parents and sister echoed and bounced off of every wall in her head.

Her parents were gone, but not Kanae.

Yet... what was this feeling?

A feeling of having lost her sister already...

Was it fear? Or foreshadowing?

Shinobu realised that she may never know before it was too late. 

An agonising dread weighed down the pits of her stomach. She felt so hopeless and scared. If she hadn't already lost Kanae and Kanao, then when would the time come? 

~What is this? Shinobu Kocho, this is pathetic, if you want to save your sisters then don't just hope for their safety~ she scolded herself

Self-disgust replaced the fear in her stomach.

~Do it yourself~

A glass vial of purple liquid quivered and trembled under her grasp.

"But perhaps, you will lose to that demon."

Her grip on the vial tightened by tenfold and she uncorked it. 

She allowed a shudder to shake off the anxiety and then promptly poured the liquid down her throat. She shuddered another time after tasting the bitter solution.

As she stood up, a wave of dizziness washed over her. She barely managed to grab onto the edge of a table before she fell over. Instinctively, she chugged down a glass of water to soothe the irritating burn that clung onto the back of her throat.

However, this was never the worst part of her ritual. It was always the mornings after; they were the most painful times.

~Resist the poison, it'll help you defeat those demons~

She took a step forward to get to the futon, which was across the room.

"Shit, why did I set all this up so it's hard for me to get around?" she asked herself as the determination to get rest was the only thing that fuelled and supported her shaky stance.

~One more step... one more... one... more...~

She collapsed onto the floor with a thud.

~My whole body is numb and paralysed, maybe the poison is working... haha~

"KOCHO," an urgent voice resounded in her ears as she heard the opening of doors and heavy footsteps.

"There's two Kochos in this family left... I'm Shinobu, not Kanae, not Kocho. I'm Shinobu~" she murmured under her breath, her eyes fluttering in and out of a blurry vision.

"Don't worry, I know who you are... Shinobu. You don't need to tell me your name for me to know..." the voice soothed her numbing sensations.

...

The whole world twisted and flipped upside down at the darting and turning of her eyes.

It was horrible. 

What was more horrible was that this was her ritual; this was just a typical morning after the horrid night.

Luckily for her, Oyakata-sama already knew what she was up to and always gave her a free day for the mornings after the... procedure.

However, what was different was that Shinobu had had a dream for the first time in a very long duration.

And the main character in that dream? Giyuu Tomioka.

She yawned again, realising the omnipresent dry sensation that hid at the back of her throat. She coughed out loud and let out a hoarse voice.

An extremely subtle yet noticeable enough aroma of chamomile and green tea lingered in the air.

Soft footsteps advanced towards her. Shinobu's eyes darted back and forth, waiting for a perilous danger to attack her at her weakest.

"Don't talk, your voice needs to heal," a sympathetic voice spoke from above her.

She craned her neck in confusion.

Giyuu Tomioka. 

So it wasn't a dream...

The cryptic water hashira in a plain blue yukata and his mismatched haori towered over the insect pillar.

"Wha-" before she could say anything, he handed her a cup of tea with two hands and then left for the other room and sat down on a chair at the dinner table.

He rested his forehead in his palms.

-What was she even doing last night-

He shook his head and a tinge of sadness overcame his worry when he thought about the amount of pain it seemed that she had went through the previous hours; the coughing blood, fevers, and instability.

Giyuu went back to go check on her, standing by the doorway, "Kocho." 

At hearing her own name, she turned her head over to him.

"Don't do that again,"

Guilt flooded her soul and spirit.

"I'm sorry I troubled you," she apologised, looking down at her tea with a remorseful look.

"Just don't hurt yourself, I don't like it,"

...

Chapter 5 done and I am veryyyy motivated ;)

Btw, angst warning for next few chapters (but lots of Giyuushino content haha)

888 words (loving the angel numbers here)