Extra chapter 03/ ??: An everlasting first impression

(I made this chapter long as fuck because I was absent for a few days. Also I don't know a drop of french, so don't kill me pls)

Neteyam stood by the front door of the house, or rather, the school's entrance. It was early, and just as any morning he waited there to greet his students before the ringing of the bell.

He looked back inside to the door across the long corridor to the backyard where some of the students were playing before the start of the day, which unconsciously brought a smile to his face.

"Good morning!" He greeted a young woman who stood in front of him. He recognized her as one of the many people who worked at the small orphanage in town, however, he did not know her name.

"Good morning, Mister Sully. My name is Amelia, I'm here today because..."

Her words dragged a little as she turned around to give an encouraging push to the two small children who hid behind her.

"These two little ones were brought to us not long ago, and we were wondering if...well, is there any possibility they could..."

"There is room for any child willing to learn." Neteyam let her know, seeing how she was hesitant as her request seemed to be too much in her eyes.

As far as Neteyam recalled they didn't have any students coming from the orphanage, mostly because the children living there were not a great amount.

The majority were a lot younger than the two in front of him, and those who were once of big age were quickly taken away to families that needed help with house and farm work after the war.

"May I know who is responsible for them? If something were to happen we need to know who we should reach out to."

"Oh, well, I guess that would be me. We all do what we can to look after them, but is not easy since the babies require more attention. I'm confident they won't give you any trouble though, they can look after themselves."

"...Right." Neteyam mumbled, fighting to hide his frown. How self-sufficient could two children be?

"Although there is a small problem." The woman pursed her lips apologetically. "When Gaetán and Ameni were brought to us, they didn't carry any belonging with them apart from a note written in French...I'm afraid that is the only language they speak."

"I see..." He nodded with a smile, easing the woman's nerves. "You need not worry, we will manage. How about we let them see how they do, and if they adapt well we can discuss the matter forward?"

"That would be wonderful. Thank you for giving them an opportunity."

"Every child deserves one. I'm only doing what it's right."

The woman left and Neteyam turned to look at them.

"Right, then..." He took a big breath. For some reason, the taller boy who was holding his sister's hand appeared angry. Neteyam wasn't sure what exactly, but he was willing to find out. "Puis-je savoir quel âge vous avez?" (May I ask how old you are?)

The children appeared taken aback, and the little girl's face brightened as if she had been told something good. Just then Neteyam realized how lonely it must have been for them to live in a place where they couldn't communicate with the world around them.

Ameni looked at her brother asking for silent permission, but the boy's frown hardened his face once again.

"Ameni, peux-tu me dire quel áge tu as?" (Ameni, can you tell me how old you are?)

"Elle a sept ans." (She is seven.) The boy answered harshly, to which Neteyam was unfazed.

"Et toi, Gaetán?" (And you, Gaetán?)