Chapter 34: Unreachable wishes and incomprehensible desires

(This chapter seals the debutant ball arc so the next one will be only focused on Ao'nung and Neteyam because we all miss them )

Ao'nung stormed out of the front door of his home. His talk with Rotxo had left him so hurt he felt disoriented, so his only option was to walk forward where he knew Neteyam was waiting for answers, as confused as he was after seeing the arrival of the carriages and Ao'nung was about to tell him everything.

Well, that was the plan before Lo'ak grabbed him by the arms abruptly, pulling him aside.

"Where are you going?" Lo'ak whispered while looking tense.

"To talk to Neteyam, and I'm in a hurry, move." Ao'nung tried to go past him, but he wasn't allowed to.

"No!" He shouted.

"No?" His eyes opened in bewilderment.

"You can't tell him!"

"He must know!"

"He absolutely cannot know!"

"Just to be clear, we are talking about the same thing, right?" Ao'nung saw as Lo'ak covered his face in a stressed state. "Because if we are, this must get to your brother's ears so he can raise hell to stop whatever the fuck this is!"

"And you might as well kill him of a heart attack, right!?" Lo'at threw his arms into the air.

"So, are you just going to hide this from him and watch as your sister marries a stray she just picked up from Eywa know where?" Ao'nung nodded and crossed his arms as if the matter was settled.

"Of course not!" He clicked his tongue. "And that's why..." He hesitated. "I nee...ugh, fucking hell. I need your help." Lo'ak squeezed the words out of him but remained serious through it.

"My he...? You...you're asking for my help?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Don't get cocky now! I still don't like you!"

"Well, the idea of helping you doesn't sound very tempting, to be honest." Ao'nung shrugged.

"And the idea of you being the one to possibly marry my brother one day makes me want to die. We all have our struggles, but I put up with mines." Lo'ak offered him a sarcastic smile but soon after he sighed. "Are you going to help me or not?"

"I don't see how I can be of help in a situation like this one, but I'll try." He rolled his eyes.

"I need to gather as much dirt as possible from this bastard as possible, but I can't be the one to do it, so you are going to have to ask around."

"Why can't you do it?" He tilted his head, curiosity taking over.

"Many of the ladies of the town do not like me, and the gentlemen are not so fond of me...compromising with their sisters...or cousins...or-"

"Do not say mothers. I beg of you." Ao'nung closed his eyes, eyebrows furrowed in disgust.

"I was going to say friends, but whatever, you get the point." He shrugged.

"I'll see what I can do." He paused for a moment. "But what is the point of it? To get Kiri to see how much of a bad catch he is?"

"Her mind is already made, and we will not get the idea out of her even if he..." He sighed at the memory of the unpleasant events from the previous night. "The point is to find something about him terrible enough to open her eyes and the towns. Everyone seems to have him on such a high pedestal just because his father is disgustingly rich."

"Do you really think this will get Kiri to drop him?" Ao'nung pursed his lips still not totally convinced.

"We might as well try." Lo'ak shrugged.