Chapter 4: Letters

As Neteyam finished sealing the last letter, he added it to the stack of previous ones he had been writing for the past months.

The mailing services in town were not great thanks to the war. With too many families trying to communicate with too many soldiers, the system collapsed, and sending a letter every week was not feasible, so he came up with the idea to write as many letters as he could to fill his father with all the important events throughout the month. After all the larger the package the more important it was, so it would arrive quickly and safely.

It was a pretty good plan.

His sibling knew about this and occasionally would add one or two letters to the stack, knowing well that he kept them neatly tucked away in a book inside his drawer.

"Neteyam, have you seen my other glove? I can't find it;" Kiri shouted softly, aware of Tuk's sleeping on her bed.

"I'll help you look in a moment."

"No, we are going to be late!"

"All right, all right." He stood up making a mental note to put the book with the letters away as soon as they came back. "Do you have the tickets?"

"Tickets for what?" Lo'ak asked from his seat in the kitchen.

"Tsireya invited us to the theater." Kiri put on her shoes in a hurry.

"What!? When!? Why am I not invited!?" He protested.

"Mother is volunteering at the shelter tonight and I am escorting Kiri, so someone has to take care of Tuk." Neteyam only shrugged.

"Why can't I be the one escorting Kiri!?"

"Because I left some cookies on top of the stove and I need someone to control the fire while I'm gone." Kiri joked pointing at the tray.

"And because I am the oldest and I say so." Neteyam laughed, clearly not paying any mind to his brother's upset state.

"That's unfair! Kiri, say something!"

"I'm so sorry, lo, but Tsireya directly asked to bring Neteyam." She whispered not to let the eldest know. Something inside Lo'ak flared up like a spark on top of dry wood.

"It's just a play."

"You are only saying that because you are the one who gets to go! I'm tired of being shut up in here!"

"Oh, please, Lo'ak. You are acting like a child. Do what you are told to for once." Their tone was not just brotherly banter anymore, the matter was turning into a serious argument and Kiri started to get nervous.

"Can you two stop? Tuk is sleeping!"

"Why are you always like this!?"

"Like what? Responsible?

"Unfair!"

"Should I remind you that we are the ones in charge to take care of our family? Not just me." Neteyam stood and Kiri subtly began to drag him towards the front door.

"Well, I didn't ask for this, Neteyam!"

"Neither did I." The was an abrupt silence in which both of them stood facing each other. Their breathing was a little agitated. "You need to grow up. I'm sick of having to care for you as if you were nothing but a mere child. If you do not fulfill your duty then what good are you?"

"Net!" Kiri pleaded from behind, arguing that it was enough. They soon left, leaving Lo'ak all by himself in the kitchen with still too much anger making his chest burn.

He made his way toward the bedroom he shared with his siblings and looked for something, anything worth enough to spite his brother back, and his eyes landed on the many books on top of Neteyam's desk.