Epilogue

Neteyam sat on the big staircase facing the entrance of the house as he hid a smile behind his hand. Tuktirey sat next to him, sighing and overcome by impatience, while Lo'ak pinched her in the arm only to vex her and find a way to kill time as they waited for Kiri to return from whatever room she had disappeared into.

"How dare she!?" They heard her shout as her slippers made their way back to the entrance. Kiri waved the papers in her hand angrily. "Five years!"

"Kiri..." Neteyam bit back a laugh.

"Five years, Net! And not a single apology! But now she leaves me the house!?"

"And so much money..." Lo'ak cried to himself.

"And you will not see a single coin. Must be upsetting." Tuk chuckled at her brother's despair.

"Well, isn't it a good thing?" Neteyam tried to lift her spirits.

"Oh, she knew what she was doing! It's too big of a home for Rotxo and me! I could never take care of this house by myself having Eyrina around!" She dropped softly onto the well-polished floor. "Even after death, she finds ways to make vex me!"

"I always thought grandmother enjoyed your quarrels." Neteyam sighed. "However miserable they made you."

"And, oh, how miserable..." Lo'ak said as he ran his finger along the stairs full of dust.

"Well, I don't want it!" Kiri cried. "Should I give it to mom and dad?"

"Mother won't set foot in this house and you know it."

"Take it from me!" She handed the papers to Neteyam who only declined with a shake of his head. "Alright then, you have it."

"Oh, I would be delighted, however..." Lo'ak hissed. "I'm afraid Reya and I are looking for something less...old. And we are very happy with our travels, settling down is not an option yet when Italy awaits for us."

"And do I get to go with you two this time?" Tuk showed him a wide smile paired with puppy eyes.

"Only if you start being nice to me." Lo'ak closed his eyes, grinning victoriously at the sound of his sister's frustrated sigh.

"You are all so unfair! Why don't I get to keep the house?" She lay back against the steps, eyes admiring the spiral of stairs leading to the upper floors.

"You are fourteen, what could you possibly do with a house to yourself?" Neteyam turned around slightly to look at her.

"Many things! I could make it my art studio, or simply have it to walk around and twirl while wearing pretty dresses." She joked.

"I know if you ask kindly enough you can convince Otanur to wear one, so you won't feel too lonely." Kiri chuckled.

"Who?" Lo'ak snapped his head at his younger sister who only covered her face with a groan.

"No one!" Tuk snapped with a frown.

"You and Tsireya were away for so long that you missed the arrival of a new family. They are obscenely wealthy, and the head of their only son has been turned by this demon of a child." Kiri covered her smile not to get on her sister's nerves any more than she already had.

"Were you aware of this?" Lo'ak looked at Neteyam, completely scandalized.

"They are friends, and there is nothing wrong with it." He shrugged calmly, making his brother scoff.

"He is not more my friend than I am the next queen of England!" Tuk stood up, stomping down the steps as her face grew hot in embarrassment. "He is an idiot who is barely smart enough to form a cohesive thought! I do not care for his presence, nor his efforts!"