Chapter 43: The beginning of the end

(If you are curious the song from this chapter is called: Dear lord and father of mankind)

The kettle squeaked on the stove. It was an especially cold morning since the arrival of Autumn had left the warm sun rays long forgotten, replaced by the sober light brightening only the rooms near the windows.

Kiri sat at the kitchen table, silently pouring herself some water while Rotxo softly read the newspaper to her.

"There is not much new, the economic section remains the same." He spoke quietly since the rest of the house was still asleep.

"So, bad." She mumbled.

"Very bad." He agreed. "Although I did notice that there is no more war propaganda, and they are no longer asking for volunteers to enroll. I want to think that is a good thing."

"Let's hope it is." Kiri took a sip of her tea watching the figure of her mother silently making her way down the stairs. "Good morning."

"Am I the last one up?" Neytiri frowned believing she had fallen asleep.

"No, Net and Tuk are still upstairs, and Lo'ak went to tune the church piano again. Did we wake you up?"

"No, It's Saturday so I'm going to the shelter today." Neytiri sat with them while Kiri made some tea for her. "What are you two doing? It is still early."

"I got up early because Mister..." Rotxo made a quick pause, still not used to calling him any different. "Well, father had business in a near town, and everyone was still asleep, so I came here because I saw Kiri in the garden."

"I couldn't sleep a wink last night." She complained. "I have been feeling tense lately, I don't know why."

"Well, wedding planning is not easy. Make sure to take things slow." Her mother went to brush her hair from her face to behind her ear in a loving manner.

"I know. There is still plenty of time...I think." Kiri sighed.

"You don't have a specific date yet?" Neytiri looked at them in surprise.

"No, we..." Kiri looked at Rotxo and fell quiet.

"We still haven't decided where we are going to live, so..." He smiled at her, although looking unsure.

"But you two seemed so excited about the last house you went to see not long ago, the one with the fruit trees?" She put down her teacup exchanging worried glances between the two of them. "What is the matter?"

"We..." Kiri sighed deeply. "I want to wait." Her mother tilted her head.

"We have decided to wait." Rotxo took Kiri's hand reassuringly at the sight of her looking guilty for her own words.

"Until dad comes back." She pursed her lips. "I don't want to marry before he gets here."

"Oh..." Neytiri's face relaxed into a saddened expression that disappeared within a moment. "If you two took that decision, then Is a good decision." She smiled. "There is no need to rush things, there will be plenty of time for you two in the future."

"Yes, I believe so too." He nodded squeezing Kiri's hand slightly, hoping she could finally stop feeling as guilty as the first time she brought the idea to him. A creek from the front door being slowly opened got their attention.

"Hello?" Ao'nung spoke loud enough for someone near to hear.

"In the kitchen!" Rotxo answered and soon Ao'nung walked in followed by Tsireya.

"It is so early, why are you here?" Rotxo laughed at their still sleepy faces.

"Father is out for business, and we wanted to have breakfast with you, but you weren't in your room." Tsireya complained taking a seat next to him. Despite her dress having long sleeves and neck she still wrapped herself in the shawl she was wearing.