10

"Henry Stiles?" I asked feeling like I probably ought to know who that was. 

"OMG, Ellie... You know, he used to be in that boyband, One Way? He's a mega star. Katelyn loves him!" Sarah explained. "Maybe I should ask him for a selfie? Or would it be best if we pretend we don't know who he is?"

I looked back at the table where Gayle was chatting to the group. They were laughing and Gayle was obviously charming them. I smiled to myself imagining what she was telling them. As my eyes moved from one to the other I caught Henry looking back at me. He smiled when our eyes met and lifted his glass. I smiled back and bit my lip as I broke eye contact. 

"Oh... what is this?" Ana said while watching our little interaction. 

My cheeks flushed while I tried to find words to explain myself. But Ana just laughed and gave me a little shove. "Hey, I'm not judging! I think it'd be good for you to get some. Even if it is from a twenty-something superstar."

Twenty-something. Ow. That barely seemed legal. Then again Adam left me for a 27-year-old, so maybe it wasn't so bad? I would only flirt afterall. There was no way he was interested in someone like me. A 40-year-old, newly divorced copywriter versus the Victoria's Secret models he probably used to flirt with. 

I excused myself and went to the ladies room while the girls fetched drinks. I stood in front of the mirror for a while, trying to fix my make up and hair. My hair was loose coming down to my shoulder blades. I wore a black halterneck dress that ended just above my knees. My cheeks were red, probably because of the sun and alcohol. I only wore mascara and lipgloss. I'd never been the type to wear a lot of make up. I felt like a bit of a regular Jane. 

I took a final look in the mirror and exited the ladies room. As I turned the corner to enter the bar I bumped into a tall, muscular, floral sight. 

"I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there", I exclaimed while crouching down to pick up my bag. Henry crouched down next to me and helped me pick up the things I'd managed to drop out of my bag. 

"Let me help you", he said and tried to put things into my bag. Our eyes met and I felt that tingle in my chest again. Being this close to him meant I could see his features up close. He truly was a beautiful man. His eyes were the most spectacular green color and I couldn't stop looking at them. He smiled at me, and it looked like his cheeks flushed. He smelled of sunscreen, cologne and something I couldn't quite place. But it was intoxicating. 

I snapped out of it and got to my feet. "Thank you. I'm such a klutz", I giggled.

"Not at all. I tackled you like a rugby player", he laughed. 

I wanted to say "I wish", but I controlled myself. In stead I laughed lightly and pointed towards the bar. "Better get back in there", I said and started walking. 

"See you there in a few minutes?", he said as I passed him. My eyes sought his again and he winked at me. 

***

We ended up staying at the bar until they closed at 2 AM. By then we were all pretty wasted. We left the bar singing and laughing. Ana challenged some of the guys to a race down the beach. Her thesis was that she would kick their asses even though she was forty and they were all in their twenties. 

Gayle and Sarah were talking to Lloyd who was Henry's tour photographer. He had travelled all over the world because he followed Henry when he was on tour. He had many interesting stories to tell. Gayle had been to a lot of the same places so they shared anecdotes and seemed to get on really well.

Henry and I walked a bit behind them. I told him a bit about myself, and he listened intently to what I said. He asked questions about literature, music, art, interests and what made me happy. He was so easy to talk to. I asked him about his career and how he felt about everyone recognising him when he was out.

"I was sixteen years old when the band got together", he started. "Pretty much the bigger part of my life has been in the limelight. If I've dated someone it's been all over the tabloids. Every little misstep or blunder has been put out in public. I'm unsure of people's intentions a lot of the time. But I believe in the good in people."

I listened to his words while thinking how odd it must be to have such a public life. But I admired his positive outlook. He was very open and seemed comfortable telling me about himself. Talking to him was effortless, like talking to someone I'd known for years. To me he seemed older and wiser than a guy in his twenties.

"I am grateful for everything I've been given. I appreciate every single person, who likes my music and comes to see my shows. Without them I wouldn't be Henry Stiles". He smiled that beautiful smile at me. 

"You're amazing", I said out loud forgetting for a moment where I was and who I was with.

He smiled shyly and took my hand.

The party was breaking up and people were heading back to their condos. Henry offered to walk me to my condo, so I didn't have to walk on my own. I didn't feel like telling him that I was staying right next to my friends, so we could just walk together, because I enjoyed his company and I wasn't ready for the night to end. 

So I slowed down a bit and let the others walk ahead. I just wanted a few more moments with him before we said goodbye and I'd probably never see him again.