18 - One More Source

Start from the beginning

"I was there; I tried to find you. Willa, the lights, the cops, the paramedics...it all sent me into a panic. I called the precinct, they said they didn't know about anyone by your name. I tried all the local hospitals, nobody had seen or heard about you. You'd just...disappeared. I filed a missing person's report! If you were gone much longer..."

"Well, cancel that ABP, because I'm here." Not for very long, though I wish. "I, um, brought some...company along with me."

"Company?"

"They drove me here. Before you freak out, they're not murderers or drug addicts." I turn towards the Impala and gesture for Sam and Dean to cut the engine and get out. "They knew I was in danger, so they took me to the only safe place that they knew: a hidden bunker in Kansas."

"Kansas?" If it's even possible, her eyes widen more. "Did you know these guys?"

"No...but I've grown to know them."

"And they weren't cops?"

"No." I hear the heavy footfalls approaching.

I sidestep out of the way, seeing that only Sam has approached. Dean remains by the Impala, keeping a good distance but a close eye. My eyes bounce between Mom and Sam, waiting for some sort of intense reaction.

I notice the change on her face first: the recognition, the shock.

"I know you know who that is, Mom," I say quietly.

She looks at me for an explanation. "What have you gotten yourself into, Willa?"

"Something that is very complicated," I say calmly. I motion Sam forward. "I know my explanation won't be enough. His might be."

Mom's mouth flaps open and closed, but no words squeak out. I can see the cogs in her mind stuttering.

"We've got a lot to talk about," I cut in, looking down. "And I mean a lot."

For a second, I think Mom won't let him in. But after a time, she concedes, stepping away. Sam follows her, and I gesture for Dean to come inside as well. I don't want to have Finn 2.0 catching him alone outside.

I feel like a stranger in my own home. I can't imagine how lonely Mom got, how worried sick.

"These are your digs, huh, Wills?" asks Dean as he gets inside. "Small place."

"It's just the two of us," I say. "No need for big spaces if it's all gonna get dusty and unused." As he starts into the kitchen, where Sam and Mom are, I stop him. "This is something they need to do on their own."

"Is this your way of accepting...?"

"It solidifies my decision." I wander around the living room. "I can't call him 'Dad', Dean. Just like I can't call you 'Uncle'. It doesn't feel right."

"I know where your head is at with this, but...you'll break her heart when you tell her you're not coming home anytime soon. She thought you were dead, and now you've walked back into her life, ready to walk back out again."

"Can't we just take her with us?"

"Could you really ask her to up and leave everything she knows?"

"You guys did to me," I point out.

"Demons aren't hunting your mom because of her blood."

My ears tune into the kitchen, listening to Sam and Mom.

"I knew you guys moved around so much...but I would've never thought hunting monsters would be the reason why," says Mom softly.

"She's taking that awfully well," I mutter to myself. Any sane person would be thinking up any reason possible to deny that monsters exist. Hell, I did. But my case was a little different.

"You didn't explain it to me. I never even got a goodbye from you!" she exclaims.

"I-I know. If I had had the time, I would've made the effort," says Sam. "If I had known..."

"I didn't find out I was having her until after you were long gone. I had no way to let you know you were going to be a dad so young. I had to be a single mom. Thankfully my parents helped out, but Willa grew up without her dad."

"There's no way I can make up for pain I never intended to cause."

"Everything you told me, about Willa...demons...it's true?"

"Every word. She wanted to come back so you knew she was okay. She was very insistent."

"Is she okay, with this new burden that's on her shoulders? I mean, you pulled her into this mess!"

"Not directly, or intentionally!" Sam exclaims.

"She's hunting, Sam!"

"Not much. Most of the time she's in the bunker doing research."

"You're missing the point."

"We didn't force her to do any of it; she took it upon herself. We only gave her shelter and protection from demons until we could figure out the big picture. We tried to steer her away from taking up arms, we really did."

"Glad to know that stubbornness she gets from you. I don't believe this; you're enabling her to fight a fight that isn't even hers!"

"Do you want to make a run with me?" asks Dean, cutting me from my eavesdropping.

"A run to where?" I ask in return.

"Somewhere. Anywhere that doesn't involve us hearing the two former flames bicker. Let's just hope when we come back the house isn't in pieces or we don't catch them...you know."

"Ew." I wrinkle my nose.

Dean chuckles. "You say that now, but, kiddo, one day you're going to want that with somebody. Heck, some kids your age probably have already lost their virginity. Judging by your reaction, you haven't."

"I am not having this discussion with you." I step into the kitchen to still see Mom and Sam bickering. "Guys, guys!" I cut in. "We can talk this out like adults. You're grown, you're capable of a civilized conversation."

My interruption has caught them both off guard. Both give me surprised looks, as though they're amazed I have the audacity to get between them.

"Look, Dean and I are running out to grab some food. You two in the meantime will calmly and rationally talk things out."

I capitalize on the moment and make a hasty retreat, leaving Dean in the dust.