14 - The Missing Piece of the Family Tree

Start from the beginning

"Wait. Demon blood?" I ask.

"That's another story for another time."

"No, it's not. It's a story for right now," I insist. "What do you mean 'demon' blood, Cas?"

"What are you feeding her?" comes Dean's greeting as he and Sam return at the top of the bunker steps.

The most awkward silence of all time falls over everyone.

"We're clearly missing something," says Sam.

"Clearly," Dean agrees.

"Did you guys find out anything new?"

Cas and I look at each other.

"You might want to get the food out on the table first," I say in a small voice. "This is something you need to have your hands empty for."

"Wills, we're hunters—not a lot should surprise us anymore," Dean says confidently.

Oh how I hope to prove you wrong and see the dumbass look on your face.

Sam and Dean do as I request—but they continue to keep looking between Cas and I. I don't know how to segue into this. How do you do that nicely with such a big reveal?

"You...might not want to eat, either, unless you want to do a spit take," I caution them. "I'd rather either of you not meet your untimely demise at the hands of food."

"You want to spit it out?" asks Dean, who seems to be losing his patience.

Cas and I look to each other again. Is it wrong if Cas tells? Is it wrong if I do?

"Since Cas is deciding to stay mum, I guess I'll just..." I clear my throat. "So, uh, random topic: remember me mentioning how I have an absent father?"

"In passing, once, but yeah, we do," says Sam.

"Well...it looks like his identity has been found, thanks to some digging on Cas's part."

"Well, that's great, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I guess." I stuff my hands into my pockets. "Only trouble is...he doesn't know I exist. But now I know who he is."

"So does this mean we're hoofing it cross-country?" asks Dean.

"No need. We, uh, don't need to travel anywhere...because, as it turns out, I've been, uh, I've been around him from the time you guys crashed Homecoming."

I really don't want to say the name out loud, because it makes it all the more real. For almost seventeen years, I've never had a name to my dad. Until now. Until Cas's implications thanks to Heaven. I just hope the Winchesters can come to the right conclusion so they don't force it out of me.

But alas, one guesses incorrect.

"Since when would Cas have the time to knock a lady up?" comes Dean's ignorant question.

I groan. "No, Dean, Cas is not my dad."

"But he told us about—"

"Oh, I know." I give a pointed glare at the angel. He doesn't shrivel in my gaze. "But based on what he told me, if I were an angel-human hybrid, my mother wouldn't have lived to help raise me. So, that's a hard no."

My eyes fall back again to Sam and Dean. Sam has had the same look on his face for a few minutes now. One that tells me he may have cracked the cryptic code I've been spitting out.

"You said you're...sixteen, right?" Sam asks slowly.

I nod just as slowly. "Yup. Good ol' ripe age of sixteen." I know why he asked—he wants to be sure of his mental math. Mom had me in either her very late teens or very early twenties. If Sam is anywhere around the same age...

"What's your mom's name?"

"Laura," I say. "Laura Routh."

Dean has, still, a mask of confusion. Clarity has hit Sam's face, and that says it all. I guess my last name is the final piece he'd been missing. There had never been a reason (until now) for me to even drop it to them. It hadn't mattered then.

"Oh," comes Dean's exclamation of clarity. He looks at me, then at his little brother. "Oh, son of a bitch."

Yeah, that sums this up pretty well, doesn't it? Sorry, Sam, to drop this on you, and Dean, but...there's a piece of the family tree that you're missing. And that's me.

**Anddddd mic drop!

So, who knew from the very start it was our puppy boy Sammy?

Let's be real, Dean has way too many daughter OCs running around here

Let's be real, Dean has way too many daughter OCs running around here. If you know how I operate, you'll know I didn't want to go the route everyone seems to go.

It's not entirely out of the realm for Sammy to have one here and there.**