47

Alyssa

"If you don't come to school you can't come to the sleepover,"

"Axel, you're not the one who makes up the rules," dad said.

"I need Ally to come to school,"

"What do we have after lunch?"

"Double geography,"

"I'll come at lunch," I said, closing my eyes, "Not before,"

"Please, Ally. I'm begging,"

"My shoulder hurts and I am tired,"

"Please come,"

"Let's leave Alyssa to sleep and go and talk, bud,"

"If she isn't going until the afternoon then neither am I,"

"Okay. Fine. I think you should try and get back to sleep for a bit then,"

I felt him climb into my bed, then he nuzzled his head into my back and I opened my eyes, looking at Ashton. He looked stressed but I was glad he just accepted the loss with whatever Axel's issue was.

Gently, Ashton kissed my forehead and tucked me in, then left and shut the door behind him, so I went back to sleep. Admittedly it was always easier with Axel here, even if I wasn't the one who needed their sibling right now. I think he was anxious, because when he was talking he was biting his nails, and twisting his tshirt, and his face was all red and his voice wobbled. I didn't know why because he didn't get anxious.

When I woke up again, he still was still sleeping, so I went downstairs to dad and found him on the sofa.

"Heya pumpkin, you've slept well. How are you doing?"

"Okay,"

"Can I get you anything to eat?"

"Yes please,"

"Breakfast or lunch? Or brunch?"

"Lunch,"

"Okie dokie. Then we will pack your sleepover bits, your school bags are ready. You're going home with June,"

"Why is Axel so sad?"

"I think school is stressing him out, he comes across new people that all your friends know and it freaks him out that he's the only one that doesn't. It you're with him then at least you're both new,"

"Oh. I guess,"

"Would you like salad?"

"No. Never,"

"Worth a shot," he laughed, "I'll go and wake Axel up,"

He passed me a sandwich, so I sat at the table and ate it, then went to the sofa again because it was taking too long.

"You need to get into uniform pumpkin,"

"I don't wanna go anymore,"

"I think you should try, I'll hang around in the area, I'm gonna see if I can meet June's mum before you go,"

"Fine,"

"It's geography, you love that. Go on,"

Slowly, I walked upstairs, then I changed into my uniform and brushed my hair. I put on mascara, then perfume, and went downstairs so dad could put my shoes on. Axel was all dressed and ready when I arrived, so we set off straight away.

We made it just before lunch ended and dad signed us in, then he promised to be nearby and left us. He kept out bags as he decided he was meeting us before we left for June's house.