Chapter 46: Being A Hero Is For Anyone

Y/N's P.O.V

So Clint, Kate and I are still prepping for tonight.

I've helped them with the trick arrows, but I've also been getting my webbing ready and making sure I have enough cartridges for my shooters.

The three of are at the work bench.

Clint and I can see that Kate is nervous.

Clint looks at her.

Clint: So, this uh... this holiday party tonight, is it a fancy thing?

Kate: Yeah, formal.

Y/N: Kate, you know, you don't have to do this, right? It is part of the job. It's always inconvenient.

Clint: He's right. It can be lonely too. You will get hurt. Heroes have to make some tough decisions.

Y/N: That's true. You have to do what you think is best. That's all any of us can do, even if it hurts like hell.

Clint: So, if you're gonna do this... we just wanna know you're ready.

Kate: When I was young aliens invaded, and I was alone. And I was terrified. But then I saw you, fighting aliens with a stick and a string. I saw you jump from that building even you can't fly, even though you don't have superpowers. And I thought, "if he could do that, then I didn't have to be scared."

She sighs.

Kate: You showed me that being a hero isn't just for people who can fly or shoot lasers out of their hands, it's for anyone who's brave enough to what's right no matter the cost.

She looks at me.

Kate: And you showed me that no matter how much loss and darkness you go through, you can still come out on the other side as a hero.

I smile at her.

Kate: I'm ready.

Clint and I both nod.

Y/N: Okay.

Clint: Come on, let's get changed. We have a party to get to.

(Two hours later)

Kate, Clint and I are now walking to the holiday party. We're in formal wear with our new suits underneath.

The three of us walk in the building and make it to the top floor where the party is happening.

We stand near the bar and look around.

Kate: I don't see my mum yet.

Clint: Why don't you tell us what you do see?

Y/N: Yeah. What are our assets and what are our threats?

She looks around.

Kate: Mmm, threats? That guy.

We look back and see Gary.

Kate: That's Gary. He fired me from one of the only jobs I've ever had. Assets? Well, we have those all around the party.

We look around and see our LARPer friends dressed as waiters.

After that we see Jack greeting people.

Kate: Wow. Jack's out of jail already. Nothing phases that guy.

Clint: So Jack wielding a sword, just out of jail for allegedly murdering someone with one.

Kate: Maybe it's his way of proving that he really is innocent?

I shrug.

Y/N: That's a weird flex, but sure.