Chapter 6: The Fire Elemental

(Czech Republic, Prague)

Y/N's P.O.V

After a few hours of driving, we're now in Prague.

We immediately go to an old S.H.I.E.L.D base there to set up.

As everyone is talking I start to space out thinking about how I'd rather be back home with Kate.

It's selfish, but I want to be somewhere else right now.

I start to come back to reality when I hear Fury calling my name.

Nick Fury: L/N, L/N!

I turn.

Y/N: Yeah?

Nick Fury: That thing is gonne be here in a few hours. Are we boring you?

Quentin: He's not bored. He's just thinking about how you needing him for this mission is keeping him away from his girl. I mean you could've called someone else from what I understand.

Nick Fury: No, we need him.

Maria: They still won't evacuate the city.

Nick Fury: Idiots. So, what's the plan, L/N?

Y/N: I will be in the cathedral tower, keeping an eye out for the fire monster. When it shows up I'll call it in and then Beck and I...

Quentin: My name is Mysterio.

He and I both smile.

Y/N: That's when Mysterio and I will move in.

Quentin: Y/N, listen to me. The best hope you have, the only hope is to stop here and now. No matter the cost. Keep away from civilians if you can, but most important, keep it away from metal. If it gets too big it'll be able to draw power from the earth's core. After that, there's no way to stop it.

Nick Fury: So, no pressure.

I look to him.

Y/N: Yeah, no shit.

I sigh.

Y/N: Look, I need a minute. I'll... I'll be back.

After that I walk out of the room to go up to the roof and get some air.

(Ten minutes later)

I'm sat on the roof and all I can think about is Maya. What happens to her if I die here tonight?

As I sit there I see Beck fly up to me.

Quentin: Hey kid, you okay?

Y/N: Yeah, I'm fine. I just... I'm thinking about Maya, my girlfriend.

Quentin: Ah, I see.

He floats down and sits next to me retracting his helmet.

Quentin: How you feeling?

Y/N: I... I was supposed to be taking a break from the whole "hero" thing when Fury came to me. I was just supposed to be a normal guy. All I wanted was a break, but it seems I can't get that.

He sighs.

Quentin: Yeah, the work/life balance is really hard, especially for guys like us.

Y/N: Now, I know I sound like a selfish asshole, but I...

Quentin: Hey. You're not a selfish asshole for wanting a normal life, Y/N. Trust me, I get it. It's a hard path.

Y/N: I just can't help but feel like I'm letting Maya down. I'm just afraid I'll lose her if I keep going like this.