Chapter 5 Part 1- The Good, The Bad, And The Blackened

Start from the beginning

"No, it's okay mom." I said, smiling at her. She frowned.

"I don't want you to over exert yourself honey. You're still trying to recover..." she replied. I chuckled.

"It's gonna be okay mom. If I don't keep trying, then I won't ever get better, you know?" I responded. She sighed.

"I know... I'm just... worried. There aren't the best people in this neighborhood..." She said.

"D- don't worry! I- I'll protect them." Furuya replied.

"Yeah, you're probably stronger than me." I laughed. I turned back to my mom. "It's gonna be okay mom. I have to move on from this house." She nodded.

"I know..." she said. I pulled her into a hug.

"Don't worry... everything is going to be okay." I replied. We stayed there for a couple of moments, before waving goodbye as I walked out the door.

"Y- your mom is so nice." She said, smiling at me.

"I mean, you'd probably know since we've been friends since kindergarten." I laughed. She nodded. "Oh! Wait!" I dropped my backpack onto the floor, taking out a Polaroid camera.

"H- huh? W- what are you doing?" Furuya asked.

"We're going to Yuutsumi Furuya. We have to take a photo to commemorate it!" I said, pulling her over to me, holding the Polaroid in the air as if I was about to take a selfie. I pressed the button, a photo coming out the front of the camera. I took it out, handing it to Furuya.

"H- huh? Why the fuck are you g- giving this to me!?" Furuya asked in a panic. Her eyes went wide as she covered her mouth. "Sh- shit! I'm sorry!"

"It's okay Furuya." I laughed.

"B- but seriously, why are y- you giving it to me? I- I thought you were the o- one with a scrapbook..." She asked.

"Well, I want to make sure you have a photo of me and you that isn't from when we were younger!" I said. She smiled at me. "We should probably get going now. Don't want to be late!" I laughed. She nodded. We got off the front porch, dragging our suitcases behind us. We walked in a serene quiet, just listening to the things around us.

"Hey... S̸̬͝x̶͓́b̵̔͜w̴͇̎j̷̽ͅr̷̬̽i̷͈̿e̵̙͋c̶͇͆ẙ̵ͅ..." Furuya began.

"Yeah?" I replied. She sighed.

"D- do... you think I'm gonna be a- able to make new friends?" She asked. I looked at her, before bursting out into laughter. She frowned. "H- hey... I'm being serious..." I smiled at her.

"I know! I just think it's funny!" I replied.

"W- what's funny?" She responded. I frowned.

"Furuya, you don't have to ask me if I think you'll make friends or not, because I know for a fact that you will." I said. She stared at me with a blank expression. "I mean, what's not to love about you? You're sweet, and interesting, and pretty..."

"... y- you think I'm pretty?" She asked, seeming a bit embarrassed. I nodded.

"Yeah. I think you're really really pretty." I said, a wide grin on my face. She smiled.

"Y- you don't have to flatter me. I- I know I'm not all that-" she started.

"Nuh uh! What are we supposed to say?" I asked, teasingly. She sighed, smiling ever so slightly.

"I deserve compliments, because I am special." She said, as if she were repeating it.

"That's right!" I replied, patting her on the back. "All you've gotta do is work on your confidence, and then boom! You'll never have trouble making friends ever again!" She smiled.