Chapter 4 Part 9- Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, But Words Can Truly Kill

I stared at the notecard, my hands shaking. Everyone wanted Yamazaki dead. Well, maybe just Imamura. But... I don't think I could kill him. Even if I wanted to. I placed the notecard down, before twiddling my thumbs, trying to think.

Why would I ever kill Yamazaki? I've never had a problem with him. Or... maybe I had. My eyes went wide, as I covered my mouth with both hands. What... what about the file? The one that Yamazaki had been threatening me with? If that ever got out... no one would ever trust me again. I gulped. If... if I killed Yamazaki... then the secret would be safe... right? Sweat rolled down my face.

Was... was I seriously going to do this? My breaths became heavy. The color drained from my skin. This was horrifying. An image flashed through my head. I gasped, grabbing my head and gripping onto my hair. My breaths became thin an meaningless.

No... I wasn't going to... was I? The image flashed over, and over, and over again. I'd pushed that memory far down inside of me. I thought it had disappeared... but now... it had returned to torment me.

I looked down at my hand. My eyes went wide. Long lines of open wounds, trickling blood everywhere. No... no I was just hallucinating... there was no way this was real. Had the motive for Morita's case come back?

I took a deep breath, distracting myself. I'd already subconsciously gotten up from my bed, walking to the door. I had already grabbed the door handle. I started to panic, grabbing my wrist with my other hand. This... this was for the greater good... right? If... if I killed Yamazaki... we'd all be let out of here... right? B- but... I didn't... want to kill... anyone. But it didn't matter. I'd already subconsciously made a decision. I was going to kill Yamazaki Kazuki.

I wandered out into the hall. The first thing I would need... was going to be a weapon. If I had the gun it would be a lot easier. Even though this wasn't what I wanted to think about... my mind had already been corrupted by the motive. I started walking to the dining hall, not paying attention to see if anyone was there.

I walked inside, immediately turning to the kitchen. I felt myself moving without control. I entered, staring directly at the knife rack. I felt my hand reach out, and-

"Hello Hirano." Kajiwara said. Suddenly, it was like a pop in my head. Like I'd been snapped out of a trance. I looked to Kajiwara, who seemed to have just put his mask back on, though I didn't see him do it. On the kitchen table was a half eaten sandwich, which only continued that thought. I stared at him for a moment, almost astonished that I hadn't seen him when I walked in. "Are you nervous about the motive?"

"I- I..." I began, looking back at the knife rack. In a panic, I pulled my hand away. What... what had I even been thinking!? Kajiwara back and forth between me and the knife rack.

"Ah, I see." Kajiwara replied. I stared, as he walked over to the refrigerator. He opened it, pulling out a sandwich encased in plastic wrap. He placed it in front of my, closing the refrigerator back up. I stared at the sandwich for a moment, before slowly grabbing it off table and pulling off the plastic wrap.

"Whose is it..?" I said.

"It's mine. Otani makes me sandwiches that I can eat later on in the day. I want you to have it." Kajiwara replied. I took a small bite of it.

"Um... why don't you eat with us? You're always with us in the morning... s- so why don't you eat then?" I asked.

"I'm not a big fan of the germs. And my time is mostly focused on keeping Sugai in check." Kajiwara responded.

"Speaking of Sugai... where is he?" I replied.

"Well... I'm not quite sure. Last I checked he went into his room. Most likely to check his target." He explained.