Chapter 3 Part 13: The Knowing, and The Keeping

"Arima..?" I said. "Why... did you lie?" I asked.

"H- huh? What are you t- talking about?" He replied.

"You said you saw Tengan and Naito this morning. But... if they were killed yesterday morning then... that's impossible." I explained. Everyone suddenly turned to him, his face going pale.

"W- what!? B- but, I did see them!" He replied.

"There's no way you could've seen them. They were already dead." Imamura responded.

"B- but... m- maybe the killers d- disguised themselves as them! J- just so I- I would get confused!" Arima replied, sweat rolling down his face.

"There's no evidence pointing to that fact." Kajiwara explained.

"Well, can we think of the alibi's first. Maybe something really did happen." Kawata replied.

"If I remember correctly~ Kawata and Yamazaki got into a nasty fight! And then Otani, Kajiwara, Hirano and I took them to the hospital!" Sugai said. He paused for a moment. "Dang it! Now I'm not a suspect..."

"So, that leaves Imamura, Taguchi, Arima and Miyazaki our suspects?" Otani said.

"Dammit..." Imamura replied. "Well, Taguchi and I were together yesterday morning. So that can only leave Miyazaki and Arima."

"Nuh uh, just because you were together doesn't mean you weren't apart of this. You two could easily be the killers." Miyazaki snapped back.

"But Arima's the one that lied." Taguchi responded. Everyone turned back to Arima, who'd gone silent, his eyes filled with terror as his pupils darted around the room.

"M- maybe Ressa and Araigu w- worked together to trick me!" Arima called out.

"Nuh uh! I already told you! I won't falsify evidence just to make things more interesting." Ressa said. Panic set into Arima's face, his body shaking.

"W- well, o- okay I lied, b- but that doesn't mean I- I killed them!" Arima replied. "A- and I..." he began, before taking a long pause.

"And I what?" Taguchi responded. Arima looked to the ground, a conflicted look on his face.

"It's... nothing..." Arima replied, looking timidly at the floor.

"Well, how about we go over some of the other mysteries first. Then we'll return to this conversation." Kawata said.

"Fine..." Imamura replied, looking away a disapprovingly.

"I don't think the killer escaped from the window." Kajiwara said.

"Huh? Why?" Otani asked.

"Well, look at where the tied cloth was. It remained on the table. Wouldn't it make more sense if the it were outside of the window reaching the ground?" Kajiwara explained.

"Yeah, that would make a lot more sense..." Kawata replied.

"But... then how would they have been able to leave the room? That door swings shut anytime someone walks inside." Otani asked.

How could the killer have left the room?

1. Propped the door open
2. Jumped out the window
3. Found a secret passageway
4. Asked someone for help

"They could've propped it open to make sure it didn't close. That would make it possible to get out." I said.

"But with what?" Otani asked.

"What about that rock? I mean, rocks are always being used in these murders sooooooooo." Sugai suggested, chuckling to himself.

"Sugai, if I was over by you, I would slap you right in the face." Kajiwara said.