Chapter 2 Part 8- Our Fears, Phobias, and Moments of Bliss

I walked over to the elevator, only now realizing that my hands were shaking. I took a deep breath, putting them into fists. This is it. The class trial.

"Maaaannnnnn, this is gonna be difficult for all of you!" Taguchi laughed to himself, leaning against the wall.

"What do you mean? You have to help too!" Imamura snapped back.

"No, I don't think I do! I get special perks because I already know what happened." He said, almost bragging as he checked the time on his pocket watch. "Ressa is rushing this before nighttime, huh?" He said with a chuckle.

"Wait, what do you mean you already know what happened!? If you know who the killer is, then why the fuck aren't you helping!?" Imamura continued, not missing a beat.

"It's fairly obvious who the killer is." Yamazaki replied, rolling his eyes. Imamura gave a confused, scornful glare back.

"Well... I'm not helping because, well, I've found something very very interesting about our current situation!" Taguchi responded, giving a mischievous look to the whole group. "You see... I suspect that one of the people in our group..." he paused, trying to create dramatic tension. Which he succeed in doing. "... is a traitor."

"Huh? N- no! No one would do that!" Naito replied, obviously terrified by that idea. Taguchi left a smile on his face, but the aura was creepy and sinister.

"Oh really? No one would ever do that? Then why did I find this?" He said, pulling out a flash drive.

"Can I see that?" Tengan said, reaching for the flash drive. Instinctively, he grabbed her by the wrist, stopping her from reaching the flash drive.

"Nuh, uh, uh. No one's gonna see this until after the trial." He replied, letting her go. She grabbed her wrist, and glared at him for a moment. "Or, until I decide that any of you are trust worthy!" He slowly pointed around at everyone as he spoke, before laughing to himself.

"So... wait... there's a traitor in our group..?" Kawata said, fear in his eyes. A fear that I've had many times before. The fear of losing trust in others.

"Yep! And I suspect that some of you people already knew! Well, besides the traitor that is..." He chuckled. I glanced to Yamazaki, who didn't look back at me. He kept a blank expression, making sure not to turn my way. "Oh Hirano... do you know something that we don't?" Taguchi said, approaching me. So, Yamazaki hadn't looked to me because Taguchi was reading our faces. He'd bluffed about knowing. He tricked me into giving it away. I started to sweat, as he approached me, having a deceitful smile on his face.

"She obviously suspects me of knowing or being the traitor." Yamazaki snapped, catching his attention. "It's fairly obvious that everyone here thinks I'm the bad guy but I assure you... I'm not your enemy." Yamazaki said. Taguchi stared at him for a moment, almost unsure.

"Oh well! We can wait until after the trial to have this little debate." Taguchi cheered, before wandering into the elevator. I followed everyone inside, standing next to Yamazaki. Slowly, the elevator began to move.

"Hey... thanks for getting me out of that situation." I said. He didn't look to me.

"Well... you pushed us into a corner. I had to get us out." He snapped back, trying to seem rude and crass. I smirked.

"Right." I responded, before wandering away from him.

"Hey... Hirano." Kawata said, standing next to me.

"Yeah?" I responded. He paused, staring at the floor.

"Do you think... this is all my fault?" Kawata asked, looking to me with worry in his eyes.