Chapter 4 Part 10-Sticks and Stones Can Break My Bones, But Words Can Truly Kill

I'd thought long and hard about this during breakfast. How can anyone expect someone to murder? It just seemed... inconceivable. But... if we can all get out of here... then it's only right... to murder? There was no going back after this. I knew that... I just hope that... they can forgive me?

No... they'll never forgive me. If this were a crime of passion, or self defense, or even a mistake, then there's the slightest chance. But... I'd planned this. I came up with all the different calculations I could think of. I'd prepped this with the things in my room. I had hoped that I'd never have to see a dead body. But that was to late. That was before this killing game, and during the killing game. I'd watched so many people pass in the last month.

Why? Why was I doing this? What had possessed me to think this way? You never think you'll murder. That's just apart of life. Especially when some stuffed animal makes you do it for sport. You repeat it in your head over and over again. I'll never be the one to kill. I'll stay true to myself. I'd never do something like this. But that's what Sazama said. That's what Morita said. And that's what Miyazaki said. Maybe you do expect it... but it's still a horrible feeling. To willingly commit a crime. Even if it's for the greater good... even if you think it's to help your group... can... can murder be excused?

"Hirano, are you alright?" Kawata asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. I suddenly snapped out of my trance. Sweat had dripped down my face, and only now had I realized how cold I'd gotten. I shivered for a moment.

"Yeah... yeah I'm... I'm fine." I replied. I put the key in the hole, and turned it. I was betraying Kawata. God... I need to get ahold of myself. I need to control myself. I was letting my thoughts get the better of me. This was for the greater good... right..? No one... liked... Yamazaki... right?

The door opened, and the inside of the room... seemed abandoned. Why did it look like this? I flicked the light in the room. The light didn't help. It just made it feel worse. As if a horrifying aura had entered the room. Like... someone... had died in here. Slowly, I walked inside with Kawata, gagging on the tense air. I felt a fear envelope my entire body. This... this wasn't normal. What was in this room?! It was almost like... this place was haunted.

"It's okay Hirano." Kawata reassured. It seemed as if he'd gone into police officer mode, pulling the taser from his belt. He walked further into the room, remaining cautious.

"W- what... what is... is this normal?" I blurted out. Kawata took a deep breath, turning to me.

"No... it's not. Honestly, I haven't felt this kind of Aura in a long time. The last time I felt this was... probably when I searched through Hano Yoshiko's house." My eyes went wide. Now everything felt worse. My stomach began to hurt, and I fell to the floor. "Hirano!" Kawata said, racing to my side.

"I- I don't know if I can do this anymore..." I replied. Kawata looked at me for a moment, before placing a hand on my shoulder.

"You've got this Hirano. It's okay. You've dealt with every murder here. You've gotten through every single trial. I know you have what it takes to get through this too." Kawata assured me. I took a deep breath, letting him help me up.

Slowly, we began looking through the room. On the wall, were loads of pictures. Each of a different place in the world. They were beautiful photographs, but with the aura in the room, it made to feel like a creepy fever dream. As if the photo would suck you up and leave you frozen in time.  We searched through his desk, the nightstands, the bathroom, the closet. Every square inch of the room was not left unchecked. But we didn't find the fountain pen anywhere.

"I... I don't understand... I thought..." Kawata said, his eyes filled with surprise. He grabbed his head, as if he had gotten a headache suddenly.

"What? What is it!?" I asked, rushing over to him. He took a deep breath.