Chapter 4: Pair of Pints

Start from the beginning

"The loser has to dance on a stripper pole for at least thirty seconds," Talia replies, causing Evelyn and I to widen our eyes, "It sounds worse than it is. There are usually a bunch of people on the platforms and no one really pays attention."

Two full pints are placed on the edge of the bar, and Ethan turns to us.

"Alright, which one of you is drinking?" Ethan asks, gesturing to the girls.

"Kyla," Talia answers before we even get a chance to discuss.

"Um, what?"

"Don't pretend like you're not the obvious choice. We all remember the college parties," Talia says and Evelyn nods in agreement.

"But," I frown slightly, "I hate beer."

"You got it," Evelyn says, trying to encourage me, "The worst thing that can happen is you drastically lose and then have to dance on a stripper pole in front of a group of people you barely know for thirty seconds."

My face drops and Evelyn quickly reassures me, "But obviously that won't happen."

Before I can protest further, Evelyn turns to Ethan, "We choose Kyla."

"Kyla it is," Ethan grins. After a brief discussion, the boys choose Harry to compete, and the two of us get pushed to the front of the bar. Harry picks up his glass and I can't help but notice the way he picks it up.

"What the fuck is that?" I blurt without thinking.

"What is what?" He asks.

"Why are you holding the glass like that?" I clarify.

I swear his entire demeanor changes in a second as he says, "Why do you hold your glass like that?"

I look down at my hand placement, "What? Like a normal person?"

"And who's to say that that's a normal way of holding a glass?" Harry challenges.

"Harry, mate. I don't know how you're still trying to defend this. It's been years. You have to know you're cracked for holding a glass like that," Chris states in my defense.

"You guys are just bullies. There's nothing wrong with this," Harry says, holding his glass up higher as if to prove his point.

I just shake my head as JJ begins a countdown for the face-off. I can feel my heart begin to race, but as soon as he yells GO, my mind goes blank. I lift the glass and begin downing the drink, trying to ignore the overwhelmingly strong taste of beer. I can hear everyone cheering around us, but I can't really hear anything in particular. I also can't tell how far along Harry is, so I force myself to drink even faster. I tilt the glass higher in the air, and finish the last sip before slamming the glass down on the counter. Harry places his down not even two seconds after I do, but it's clear to see who won.

"YES, KYLA," The girls shout as they wrap me in a group hug.

"That's poor from you, Lewis," Freezy yells as the rest of the boys make fun of Harry.

"I thought you weren't a big drinker," Ethan says, looking impressed.

"I never answered your question when you asked earlier," I point out before I quickly take a shot in an attempt to get the taste of beer out of my mouth.

"Kyla always wins drinking competitions. It was basically her party trick at college," Talia mentions.

I suddenly remember the forfeit and turn around just in time to see Chris and Chip shoving Harry up onto the nearest platform.

"Lads, do I have to do this?" Harry asks as he awkwardly stands near the pole.

"Yes. We all had to do it when we lost. It's shit, but the games the game," Vik says, sounding like he's speaking from experience.