Running Up That Hill

Their first stop is at the trailer

Their first stop is at the trailer. Max needed to drop off more letters. "This better be fast, Mayfield."

"Twenty seconds."

The two sisters put the letters on the table. Madison felt her head pounding.

"I'll be right back, I'm just going to get ibuprofen,"

She goes into the kitchen and turns on the sink. Max is in the backyard but stands very still. Vecna.

Madison shook her "Max, Max"

Her younger sister fell on the floor, gaining consciousness and hyperventilating. "Max"

Her voice quivered, tears are in her eyes.

"Maddie is that you? Is that really you?"

She furrowed her eyebrows confused. "What are you talking about, it's been more than twenty seconds."

Max looked around terrified

"But, But I swear I saw mom."

"She's at work."

Madison took a few minutes to process. "

"Oh My God ...."

The Mayfields sped walk out the trailer. "Hey, that was longer than 20 seconds."

Steve squinted as the sun got in his eye, Dustin and Lucas just stood there.

"Hey, whoa, whoa. You all, right?"

Max rushed to the car, opened the door, and held in tears." I'm fine. Just drive.

She slammed the door, then Dustin and Lucas got in. Madison got in the front.

"Did something happen?"

"Can we please just go?" Max said in the back.

He started the car and drove off.

It is a silent drive, Madison pulled out her headphones. Her eyes start to water, nothing ever lasts forever. Max broke the silence. "Turn here."

Steve turned right to the cemetery. Madison let out a slight gasp, she wants to see Billy. Max got out heading toward his grave. This time, Madison stayed in the car, she doesn't want to reminded of that day.

Before she got close, Lucas got out of the car and talked to Max. He's concerned about her, but like everyone else she is pushing him away. After a while, He just stood there, watching her walk to Billy's grave. They awaited Max's  return. Steve holds onto Madison's sweaty hand. She just sat there, for a bit too long.

Steve let's go of her hand and opened the car door. "All right, it's been long enough."

Madison put her headphones down and opened the door.

" He's right"

"Guys, just give her some time." Lucas told them, he could feel their uneasiness especially Madison

"I have, all right, Sinclair. I'm calling it. She wants to get a lawyer, she can."

The two walked past the graves, they reached Max, she is still, very still " Max? Time to giddy up"

No response

Madison shook her, hoping for a response.

"Max? MAX,"

The two knelt down,Madison could feel her heart stop. Her eyes look just like Wills two years ago, rolled back in a possessed state. The color changed to a glossy white. Vecna got her.

The two shook her, hoping she could snap out of it.

"Wake up! Hey! Max!"

" Max, can you hear me, Max." Madison raised her voice.

Lucas attention goes to the two. " Something's Wrong"

"Max! Come on! GUYS"

Dustin and Lucas ran to them. He went and shook her "Max, you got to get out of there!"

"Can you hear me?"

"MAX YOU NEED TO GET OUT!" Madison shouted

"Call Nancy and Robin, Go get them! Go! - Please, Max!" Steve shouted

Dustin ran to get his walkie-talkie.

Madison's heart dropped thinking about her sister and what Vecna might do to her. She started to remember what Eddie described and held Max's hand tight.

"Guys!"

Dustin ran dropping a lot of Max's cassettes.

"What is this?"

"What's her favorite song?"Dustin asked quickly

"Why? Why?"

"Robin said if she listens It's too much to explain now. What's her favorite song?"

"Kate Bush," Madison remembered.

Dustin turned to her quickly

"What"

"That one song by Kate Bush, it's goes like Um." Madison snapped her fingers nervously and hummed the melody trying to remember the song. It clicked in her head suddenly. "Running up that hill"

Lucas grabbed the Hounds of Love cassette. "Maddie is it this one."

"YES!"

"It's right here! Got it!"

He hands it to Steve while Madison grabs her Walkman.

"Go, go, go!"

"Okay, headphones!"

"NOW!"

<<<

As the song played, the four continued to scream out her name. Madison could feel her sister's hand slip away as she floated in the air. They all watched in horror and continued to scream out her name. She started to sob. Madison can't imagine a life without her little sister.

Even tho Max doesn't open up to her and closed everybody out, she's always tried to be there. Madison would knock on her door and leave a glass of water or ibuprofen on the counter. A simple Thanks was all she needed to hear. Madison didn't apply to colleges or make plans to move to LA to be closer to their dad

Their mom is an alcoholic and works two jobs, barely even spending time with them. Madison tried to get her to rehab, but she wouldn't listen. The money received from Family Video goes to the Trailer for rent. She can't leave her sister alone while their mom is passed out every night on the couch.

Her body is still in the air, but she slowly starts to lower. She's resisting the curse. Finally through screams and tears, Max fell down to the ground

MAX!

They approach her quickly, Max grabbed on her sister's hand as Lucas wrapped his arms around her, hyperventilating.

"MAX, OH MY GOD"

"It's ok, it's ok"

"I thought we lost you." Lucas said with tears in his eyes.

Teardrops stream down her cheeks, her voice quivered. "Max, I'm here, I'm here,"

"I'm still- I'm still here." Max spoke up

Madison catches her breath. "You're, You're still here"

"I'm still here."

A/N: Watching the Running Up That Hill scene for the first time gave me so much anxiety and goosebumps. Oh, My God! It's actually one of my favorite songs since that day and Dear Billy is my favorite episode for that reason.